What is your opinion of the new Start Menu in Windows 10?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
There are many changes:

*Tiles are smaller! The medium tile is 100x100 pixels in this preview, It was 120x120 pixels before.
*The start menu can't be resized, but It can be maximized.
*Tiles were always aligned top-left. Now tiles can be positioned without restrictions.
*Scrolling was horizontal, now It's vertical.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like most UI changes, this just needs some time to getting used to I guess. I do like that I can now pin my tiles any way I like. Definitely better than before. For the start menu itself vertical scrolling is indeed useful, but I had preferred horizontal scrolling for the start screen. Not being able anymore to select multiple tiles at once is annoying too, but we're far from having a final build here, so most of these aspects may change anyways.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't like it. Tiles are too small, it's hard to read the text and see the images on the tiles.
I prefer the Start menu of the previous build that can be resized. My perfect start menu is wider with more space for tiles, giving me a panoramic view of useful information.
I don't like the full screen layout either, the Windows 8 Start Screen was much better.
I prefer horizontal scrolling for the tile section.
I'm having difficulties positioning the tiles, I liked more the automatic top-left alignment.

It seems I'm not happy at all with the new Start menu.

m1ke999

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it would've been a good idea to allow the user to resize the start menu to whatever size they wish but I do like that you can maximize the menu to full screen and go back to the original start menu easily

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Dislike it - i'll be giving feedback - i put in a registry key to get the old start menu back - this current design sucks really bad on a WHQD display, the tiles are just way too small now full screen - I also don't like they removed the ability to go horizontal on the start menu. Hopefully they'll put that back

Personally, how I have it now is just like how I used windows 8.1 but with the benefit of running apps in windows if I want - I spend 90% of my time on the desktop, but I like to have the larger live tiles to navigate my applications

KINGINI LABS

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I dont like it. When on tablet mode, it should have the left side bar minimized. I dont mind with vertical scrolling instead of horizontal for the tiles.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The left side bar looks amateur and is out of place on the Start screen, either remove it so there's more tile space or better yet provide options so if anyone does like it then it can stay there.

Vertical scrolling is weird and nit really how tablets 'should' work but getting used to it.
Not having the desktop picture as the start screen background, just a colour block, is very jarring and destroys any attempt at unifying W7 & W8.1 into any kind of cohesive whole.
The tiles are also quite small now compared to 8.1 and everything is harder to do, as in, buried in menus and so on, its not really a tablet fit OS at present.
But this is what previews are for, feedback to MS they want to hear our views.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
This is just the first version of the XAML Start Menu, it's too early to judge it. It will be better in the next builds.
We already know that it will be resizable and more customizable (colors, transparency..).

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, my point really is that there are elements I'm not keen on like the original poster but that that's the whole point of this process, to test and to provide feedback and help where possible in refining things. The key is not to just moan, not that I'm saying anyone here specifically is but there are some in the forums that are, but to have input by proving constructive feedback

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's what's really exciting about Windows 10. It's the first time in Microsoft's history of operating systems that users can have a great impact on what the next product will be like. Even though MS had public betas before, there has never been such a tight connection between the company and its customers. Kudos, Microsoft!

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
i like it a lot but it need to be more flexible you should be able to resize it the way you want - pin anything on left side or create groups on left side or sort apps by install date or name or ... etc its not finished yet there is a lot of work need to be done

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Dislike it - i'll be giving feedback - i put in a registry key to get the old start menu back - this current design sucks really bad on a WHQD display, the tiles are just way too small now full screen - I also don't like they removed the ability to go horizontal on the start menu. Hopefully they'll put that back

Personally, how I have it now is just like how I used windows 8.1 but with the benefit of running apps in windows if I want - I spend 90% of my time on the desktop, but I like to have the larger live tiles to navigate my applications

anychance you can point me in that reg key direction. The 8.1 start was leagues better for touch...

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm indifferent. Maybe because I never used the previous build. If I had to answer, I'd say I like it the way it is now.

jac422

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I think it's headed in the right direction but definitely still needs to incorporate some of the things they got right about the start screen in 8.1. I agree that having it re-sizable and different colors/transparency will help design but it looks like that is coming soon. My biggest issue with it now is the sidebar on the left. I think the font needs to be bigger and there needs to be a better way to access "all apps" (a bigger button and a swipe down gesture for tablets?). I also think it would help if the apps were (or could be) organized into folders so that I don't have to scroll through 12 different Adobe programs and 8 office programs to find what I'm looking for. As it is now, apps which aren't on the taskbar or start menu are difficult to find without using Cortana.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
That's what's really exciting about Windows 10. It's the first time in Microsoft's history of operating systems that users can have a great impact on what the next product will be like. Even though MS had public betas before, there has never been such a tight connection between the company and its customers. Kudos, Microsoft!
Yes. We have had betas before but it was always after the features were frozen. At that point all you are doing is finding and reporting bugs but no functionality would ever be changed. Now, we have the opportunity to actually see the design process in action, problem is some people can't handle that and are assuming that every build is exactly what the final release will be.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
. My biggest issue with it now is the sidebar on the left. I think the font needs to be bigger and there needs to be a better way to access "all apps" (a bigger button and a swipe down gesture for tablets?). I also think it would help if the apps were (or could be) organized into folders so that I don't have to scroll through 12 different Adobe programs and 8 office programs to find what I'm looking for. As it is now, apps which aren't on the taskbar or start menu are difficult to find without using Cortana.
I think there needs to be an option as to whether the sidebar on the left is displayed or not, personally I'm not at all keen on it being there but others may like it.
Good idea re folders, the way it's implemented on Windows Phone would be a really neat way of doing any folder options......time to feedback some more :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills