I want to try W10 on my laptop - Advice -

aldofarias82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i want to install the preview on my laptop (Toshiba i7, 8gb ram) , its not my only computer but I use it as much as my main PC so I don't want to mess it up. I want to try the latest build but I have a couple of questions:

1.- How complete is it? Is it useful already or too buggy? I plan to work on it.

2.- Do you guys know of any compatibility issues with x64 software? I had that problem with autodesk products when I tried W8 preview back in the day.

3.- I don't want to lose my Windows original license, it came preinstalled but I don't have any registration code. Do I need it in order to activate W10 when the beta program ends or if want to go back to W8.1

Thanks in advance!

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
There's a big chance that you're going to encounter a bug. Since it's still in beta. You should just google about your specific software on Google. Chances are someone already posted if they found a problem with it.
You need a key when installing/reinstalling Windows.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Based on those questions, I would suggest installing the tech preview in a virtual machine.

You can use a free application called VMware player (link below).

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0

Make sure you have enough storage space, I would recommend 40 - 50 gb and 2gb ram set for the virtual install at the minimum. In case you want to do an in place upgrade from with-in Windows 10 to a newer build without the hassle of re-installing through the latest iso (dvd image).

If you encounter any problems, you can simply delete the virtual machine and start again without affecting your laptop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss