Future of windows RT with windows 10

mrruz

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the Lumia 2520, and its a pretty impressive device overall, but I'm reading that MSFT seems to have dropped and windows RT altogether when they discontinued surface 2.

Do you folks think that they're going to merge Windows RT with the Windows 10 mobile version and drop the "desktop" completely? I certainly wouldn't mind, considering the "desktop" is all but useless on these machines.

I just don't want to have to buy a new tablet just to keep current with the OS.

What have you guys heard?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has only said that RT devices will receive "some" Windows 10 features. My take on that is we are going to receive a "Windows RT 8.2" type update --- similar to the Windows Phone 7.8 update. Windows Phone 7 devices did not get updated to Windows Phone 8, but they give it the Windows Phone 8 start screen & a few other minor features.

I have a Surface RT and plan to get the next generation Surface Pro when/if it's announced --- but hopefully they add Cortana, Office (Touch) & proper support for the newer universal apps.

As for the "merger", Windows Phone replaced RT more so than a merger UI wise. Windows Phone UI on a 10" Surface would be silly looking.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm hoping they'll release this tweaked version of Win8 for non-RT devices as well. I want universal apps and DX12 but the rest of Win10 sounds awful. Something like this that just adds the compatibility basics to Win8 would be ideal.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I for one am pretty upset that original surface RT and Surface 2 users are getting screwed over with Microsoft not updating devices to Windows 10.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...bring-windows-10-to-original-surface#comments

Vote via uservoice to show support that owners of Windows RT devices deserve respect. At least give RT owners the option of installing desktop-less version of Windows 10.
Sent from my Lumia 1320 all the way from Jupiter.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I for one am pretty upset that original surface RT and Surface 2 users are getting screwed over with Microsoft not updating devices to Windows 10.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...bring-windows-10-to-original-surface#comments

Vote via uservoice to show support that owners of Windows RT devices deserve respect. At least give RT owners the option of installing desktop-less version of Windows 10.

Oh quit your damn whining, you got more updates than any android ever gets.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Relax dude.. I'm not whining.. I'm just helping out folks that own RT devices..

No, your whining because your device wont get the full update, and your trying to force microsoft to do so, microsoft is abandoning RT for reason, it was a mistake, and none of your voting is not gonna make Microsoft decide "you know what, their right, lets hire a new team to port the entire windows 10 product to windows RT" Microsoft is killing RT, because it doesn't fit with either of the two platforms Microsoft has, and its undeiniably not worth making one for it.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
No, your whining because your device wont get the full update, and your trying to force microsoft to do so, microsoft is abandoning RT for reason, it was a mistake, and none of your voting is not gonna make Microsoft decide "you know what, their right, lets hire a new team to port the entire windows 10 product to windows RT" Microsoft is killing RT, because it doesn't fit with either of the two platforms Microsoft has, and its undeiniably not worth making one for it.

Dude, take a chill pill and get off your high horse. That's the entire point of uservoice. Why do folks like yourself act as if you speak for everyone? If folks want to at least bring their concerns to MS over this matter, its their right to do so. MS in fact encourages it. Relax bruh!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My idea was, MS should give some type of trade in discount program to people that have RT devices for surface pro devices. I use my surface 2 daily and really like it, but I would take advantage of a good trade in program.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
They're not gonna introduce a trade in program at this point. They've all but given away all the inventory they had sitting on shelves to clear that very stock.. They're not got gonna want to end up with those same devices on their hands again.. I think they should not forget RT owners. Bring RT into the fold. The hardware supports it.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Dude, take a chill pill and get off your high horse. That's the entire point of uservoice. Why do folks like yourself act as if you speak for everyone? If folks want to at least bring their concerns to MS over this matter, its their right to do so. MS in fact encourages it. Relax bruh!

the uservoice is for useful suggestions that microsoft would be possibly willing to change, its simply not gonna be worth hiring a new team to rush and port an entire project to the winrt tablets.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
the uservoice is for useful suggestions that microsoft would be possibly willing to change, its simply not gonna be worth hiring a new team to rush and port an entire project to the winrt tablets.

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't think you're following me however. There's no porting to be done. Windows RT is already ARM compatible. If they refuse make an RT SKU for those devices, them why not allow those owners the choice of installing the SKU for phones and small tablets? Don't just leave your early supporters out in da cold like that.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If it's killed off, it's a marketing decision rather than a tech one. I'm sure I read somewhere that MS had some Win 2012 builds ported to ARM and were testing them out. It's just the performance/power spec difference between ARM and x86 is narrowing.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I think the word "Screwed" puts your post at odds with what is really happening Stefan.

The Surface RT and I suppose the other RT devices will become a bit of a backwater, MS had to try the idea, but most would people would say overall it wasn't a success.

I bought my wife a Surface 2 and she loves it, it does what she wants it to do, and it will carry on doing what she wants it to do, it sounds like it will get upgrades to help it tie in with 10 is going, but it isn't going to get full blown 10, but it will still work.

I once bought a Phillips CDi, this was a fantastic bit of kit, well in advance of the alternatives of the original Xbox and in some ways only just being surpassed by the Xbox One in terms of all round entertainment, I paid lots of money for it and the games/media that was available.

It turned out to be a dead end, never got updated, not once, no more games/media was released, but did I get screwed, my family got lots of use out of it for many years, and it only just stopped being a good CD player.

Did XP users get screwed, it's now dead, there are still people using it, happily on devices that cannot be updated, they still work, but from the futures point of view they are dead.

Microsoft cannot stop 10, it is a juggernought and the future for the company (And many of us) and they cannot afford to get it wrong, but they cannot afford to go down every blind alley, they aren't dropping support for RT devices, they will still be supported with some updates, they will get a makeover, but maybe not full 10. RT devices will still work.

So the use of the word screwed is perhaps a little bit harsh.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the word "Screwed" puts your post at odds with what is really happening Stefan.

The Surface RT and I suppose the other RT devices will become a bit of a backwater, MS had to try the idea, but most would people would say overall it wasn't a success.

I bought my wife a Surface 2 and she loves it, it does what she wants it to do, and it will carry on doing what she wants it to do, it sounds like it will get upgrades to help it tie in with 10 is going, but it isn't going to get full blown 10, but it will still work.

I once bought a Phillips CDi, this was a fantastic bit of kit, well in advance of the alternatives of the original Xbox and in some ways only just being surpassed by the Xbox One in terms of all round entertainment, I paid lots of money for it and the games/media that was available.

It turned out to be a dead end, never got updated, not once, no more games/media was released, but did I get screwed, my family got lots of use out of it for many years, and it only just stopped being a good CD player.

Did XP users get screwed, it's now dead, there are still people using it, happily on devices that cannot be updated, they still work, but from the futures point of view they are dead.

Microsoft cannot stop 10, it is a juggernought and the future for the company (And many of us) and they cannot afford to get it wrong, but they cannot afford to go down every blind alley, they aren't dropping support for RT devices, they will still be supported with some updates, they will get a makeover, but maybe not full 10. RT devices will still work.

So the use of the word screwed is perhaps a little bit harsh.

You make a valid point there. Maybe "screwed" is indeed the wrong word to use here. 👍

Last edited:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
While I understand where you're coming from, I don't think you're following me however. There's no porting to be done. Windows RT is already ARM compatible. If they refuse make an RT SKU for those devices, them why not allow those owners the choice of installing the SKU for phones and small tablets? Don't just leave your early supporters out in da cold like that.

oh, i guess I wasnt following you then, I'd say thats a decent idea, their may be a technical roadblock or something though, if they dont do it though and there isnt one, you could probably flash the update to it

nilchak

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks fr the link. I agree and voted for Windows 10 support on Surface.
There are a lot like us who preferred the Surface type devices.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Honestly if they released SP4 with a smaller 10.6" chassis (and maybe a 11.6 screen inside it with barely any bezels, ala XPS 13) I'd be supper happy: an Intel processor Surface with which I can keep using my Type Cover 2.

ARM Surfaces may be dead, but that doesn't mean MS can't keep their promise of an ecosystem of Surface accessories: release an intel based 10.6 device with Core M or Atom Cherry Trail, keep the Pro for the bigger size. I'd just hate to throw my type cover 2 away. It's an awesome keyboard.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I bit the bullet and sold my Surface 2 and bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 (not the pro) with 10.1" screen and bundled Bluetooth keyboard. Fantastic value and a really nice tablet. Higher dpi than the Surface and full Windows too. The screen is fabulous and the Yoga 2 is faster than the Surface by a large margin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3