if menus and design remains as the preview

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to know others opinions.

If given the case that in the official windows 10 version menus remain as in the preview (hamburger menus, tabbed menus for alarms and dialer without the ability of swiping and gestures, reduced pivot and inferior dot menus) would you consider changing of OS? How much?
If so, what would you choose?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I like WP's UI, but thats not the only reason I'm here!
1) I generally like being on the growing OS more than the already established ones, its funner to look forward to the updates
2) I like WP's potential, I think given time it will become a great OS, probably stopping somewhere between IOS and Android in openess
3) I don't dislike the direction they are going, both the hamburger menu and the pivot system has flaws, in all honesty I welcome the hamburger menu

gonna elaborate a bit on point 3: the first thing that needs to be addressed is the fact that metro simply wasn't made to handle everything that's expected of a phone OS today, no matter what Microsoft does now, metro will always seem cluttered if they play the feature game like android, so obviously, there needs to be a change, hamburger menu may not be the best direction, but I'm sure a better one will evolve from it in the future.

You can see the effect of this all over the OS, lets look at the settings section, its a cluttered mess right now, but when WP7 was made, it wasn't, this was when metro just began (shortly after the Zune HD's flop) the settings menu was clean and easy to navigate back then, what happened was, as more features got added, the settings menu got harder and harder to navigate, that same thing is happening to the OS, just not as noticeably as it has been on the settings menu! This is exactly why the UI needs to change in some form, Microsoft wants to make WP as featured as an android or IOS, but the metro UI just isn't made for it, pivots work great for simple stuff, not advanced stuff, something new has to be added to accommodate for more advanced stuff.

Last edited:

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi Asskickulater, agree with much what you say, but for example:

Why can't the dialer/call menu or alarm menu be pivot/swipe able? I'd be much more comfortable and fast for calling, looking for contacts, etc., specially if, you're in a situation that using both hands is difficult or uncomfortable.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
its a complicated situation though, microsoft may change it later, right now their probably just testing stuff, this is the part of development we usually never see.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If it stays like this, I am considering a stay to windows 8.1. Windows 10 navigation doesnt fit in my workflow and is not a good touch navigation experience. I find it ever more confusing. Windows needs one navigation style and navigation tailored to that. Currently its a mix of "new windows 10" and literally windows 8.1. menu's with many apps. One of the most frustrating ones is where one presses settings through the hamurger menu to access the app bar or even the settings, which for many apps are literally the charms bar that appears from the right edge of the screen. It's a confusing experience, because intuitively I already have the tendency to swipe from the bottom or right edge when I want to access the settings menu from the charms bar or even the app bar or title bar, just like in windows 8.1. I don't need an extra (hamburger) button that stands in the way of the swipe. That's a step backward to the windows 8.1. touch eperience in tablet mode. It may be that mouse and keyboard is the reason for the hamburger menu, but the touch design needs either a continuation of the windows 8.1 expierence, or microsoft should consider a seperate interaction UX/UI model for tablet mode.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if we're talking PC or phone in this thread, really doesn't matter. Right now Microsoft is in this mode of operation: Every employee is "empowered" = if you have an idea, build it. Take everything, throw it at the wall, and see what sticks.

By the final release, the group responsible for look and feel will have had their fill of it, and decide what to keep and what to dump. Hopefully guided along the way by all the feedback. Complaints about lack of consistency, hamburger here, ellipses there, some other functionality in the other place - these are invalid and just noise at this point. What is valid is "pivot works better than hamburger in this specific case because..." or "ellipses at bottom is better than hamburger at top because of short thumbs" or my personal favorite "give me pivot, hamburger AND ellipses, and a settings option to choose which one I want" etc.

Prediction: pivot for the dialer (and many other areas) will be back. It just works too well compared to what they're trying out. Ideally, you'll have both. The pivot for those who find that easy, and the hamburger for those coming from another platform and don't understand pivots yet.

/tl;dr:
I don't know what the final release will look like but I can absolutely guarantee it will be vastly different than what we're seeing now.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I would consider switching. I have a WP for a reason. I don't want BB, iOS, or Android. But if they gave in and made an iOS clone I would just consider going to iOS. If they made an Android clone I would stay with WP because Google is the root of all evil. BB? No, I don't like their designs and they are Android's puppet. But I should would hate to go to iOS because their interface is so damn boring and impersonal.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have that much issue with the hamburger menu. I mean it's not really any different from ellipsis, the real issue is with placement.
they are putting the hamburger button on the top left while the ellipsis is located at the bottom right.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely not going to WP10, staying with 8.1 and will hopefully get denim before next year, lol. After that I'll just stick with my iPhone as my main driver and let WP fade out of my life. Been a good run since my HD2, but WP10 is easily the ugliest OS I've ever seen. If I'm forced away from my beautiful WP metro design, then I might as well go somewhere with ALL the latest apps, updates, and games.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Considering the hamburger icon is seen on one of the main buttons on the XBox One controller, I would say it probably is somewhat of an industry standard adopted by MS.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I will probably remain a Windows Phone user as long as they 1) continue to have better cameras than iPhones and 2) continue to be a closed-environment (as opposed to Android). Those are two of my main considerations, but I don't care for Apple the company, so I certainly lean away from them. But if Windows Phone becomes a mess of an UI, and Apple comes out with a great camera, I might consider switching.

It looks like they're moving too much to look like Android/iPhone so it's really going to be a matter of apps and hardware rather than UI it seems, and while Nokia was good at hardware, it's yet to be seen exactly how MSokia will do (although, the Surface gets a lot of praise, so hopefully that's a good sign). And we all know where Windows Phone has fell in terms of apps. I think they're going to make some of their current fans unhappy with the changes and I don't think there's really going to be much to pull people away from the other phones in any large number. They'll lose a few, and win a few, but that's it. I think WP will stay at sub-10% market share for a long time.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't consider going to another OS but I would be deeply disappointed if W10 ends up looking like the ugly and awkward to use mess it seems it will be. Part of the reason I switched from Android to WP was because of the unique and clean design language. This includes the pivots, smooth animations, and ease of use. Even that "hard to use" settings menu you get used to after 15 minutes of using. Throwing all of that out for dumbed down designs and idiotic hamburger menus is a slap in the face to those that were attracted to the platform in the first place.

I'll give W10 a shot and give my opinions on it but it looks like 8.1 is where I'll stay if they abandon their own style for a downgraded experience. A shame too because 8.1 is far from perfect (fluidity issues, games in app list, etc.)

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to know others opinions.

If given the case that in the official windows 10 version menus remain as in the preview (hamburger menus, tabbed menus for alarms and dialer without the ability of swiping and gestures, reduced pivot and inferior dot menus) would you consider changing of OS? How much?
If so, what would you choose?

Nope I won't switch. They don't bother me at all.

Added:

The thing is, if the pivot system was the be-all/end-all of what makes a mobile phone the greatest, then people would have been flocking to WP a long time ago and by large numbers.... Which they haven't.

New users to Windows 10 Mobile who have never used anything else besides an Android or iPhone are not going to care that there are fewer or any pivot functions in the OS, nor are they going to care about hamburger menus because they already didn't have pivots in their previous phones and they already have experience with hamburger menus.

If this is the sacrifice MS has to make in order to help bring in new users, new developers, make the OS universal on PC, Tablets and Mobiles... And everything else under the sun, so be it.

I've been using Windows since 3.1.... One thing I learned how to do over the years was to adapt to change.

I adapted from Windows 3.1 / 3.11 to Win 95, despite not liking 95. I adapted to 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, WP7.5, 7.8, 8, 8.1.... And here I am again adapting to 10.

While in each incarnation of Windows has had a few things done that I did not care for, they were never anything drastic enough for me to not enjoy the overall experience and functionality of the OS.

To me, having or not having pivots, or having or not having hamburger menus has to be one of the most trivial issues I have encountered in Windows to date.

The only people who are going to miss the pivot system are a % of the existing Windows Phone User Base, and all things considered, that's not a lot of people compared to the much larger % of phone users around the world using other devices.

To be blunt, those people who are going to be that upset over the menu style changing, to the point of going to another OS, will not be missed... They in turn will be missing out.

Seriously people think about it.... You don't like hamburger menus so much that you are willing to jump ship into the open arms of Android and iPhone.... Which are filled with more Hamburgers and Cheese than Windows ever could be. Do you think you're going to escape hamburgers by going to Android or iPhone?

Do you seriously think going to Android or iPhone is going to bring back your beloved Pivots to Windows?

Are you going to find your precious pivots on a mac device??

Is it really that bad that you can't even see beyond the illogical in this sort of mentality?

If the only thing that has been keeping you as a Windows Phone user was the pivot / three dot menu system, then go ahead and switch to another phone.

I for one will not be begging others to stay.

There is a bigger picture Being painted here and I for one want to see what it looks like when it is finished.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077