Visit site
imagine having Windows 10 on a smart TV with universal apps and Cortana
with a start screen-like UI and being able to sync with Xbox One wirelessly

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.

I hope I get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Media Centre. I paid $99 for the 8.1 Pro Pack, and I don't think it would be fair to charge again for it.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

MSFT is too retarded to see this opportunity to hop into the streaming set top and stick business. Instead they insist on letting a $349 gaming device cater to this market --- one that's dominated by $30-99 devices. A low powered $49 "XBOX Stick" could easily see significant success even this late into the market.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think MS needs that.. Their "$349" device already does that in spades.. What I believe they should do, is get their wares on all those "$30-$99" devices.. Get Xbox Video on there..xbox music etc.. And allow OneDrive access via the apps themselves.. They don't need to chase every device category with hardware... Just piggy-back on the established players..
Dancing on the rings of Saturn. L1320

tofnow

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Re:

This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.
I don't care whether they spend any time on a fancied up WMC, just get the bloody thing to play on Win 10! And yes I do have strong feelings about it.:eek:rly:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Don't MS have something, though a bit OTT called Surface Hub?
Would MS do a version for normal TV's? Probably not, as they want you to use an XBOX as your home hub.

G.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't MS have something, though a bit OTT called Surface Hub?
Would MS do a version for normal TV's? Probably not, as they want you to use an XBOX as your home hub.

G.
But for someone who doesn't care about Xbox games, an Apple TV is only $99. I think if Microsoft did something similar to Apple TV (sans gaming), it would be attractive to people who don't care about Xbox games.

For example, I'd consider anything but a game console, since console games don't interest me. The price of Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast would appeal to someone like me. If Microsoft had something in that type of price range ($100 or less), a lot of people who don't care about games would consider it.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just hook your raspberry pi 2 with windows 10 to your tv, it will get much more functionality than the 40$ sticks right ?

I think a better choice could be a cheap Windows tablet like those under $100 with HDMI out, much more functionality than the Pi and perfect for playing or streaming movies.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
But for someone who doesn't care about Xbox games, an Apple TV is only $99. I think if Microsoft did something similar to Apple TV (sans gaming), it would be attractive to people who don't care about Xbox games.

For example, I'd consider anything but a game console, since console games don't interest me. The price of Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast would appeal to someone like me. If Microsoft had something in that type of price range ($100 or less), a lot of people who don't care about games would consider it.

Agreed. I personally use Roku and FireTV sticks. They replaced my dedicated Windows 7 based HTPC. I use them for Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Would be nice to have a MSFT option with the current set of XBOX apps.

Last edited:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The best option is to be built into new TV's and devices. Not sure how easily this can be done. But perhaps since they are working more close with Samsung, it could be possible that MS apps are not just going into smartphones but possibly TV's too. It would be cool.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I agree it would be nice, however I don't believe MS would see the commercial benefit to creating this. It would eat into their XBOX business, and they could argue you could use as suggested above, Miracast from a Windows device.

I admit at home I use a Apple TV, mainly for Netflix, but also for streaming from my iPad (can't afford/justify a Surface) Flixster...

G.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree it would be nice, however I don't believe MS would see the commercial benefit to creating this. It would eat into their XBOX business, and they could argue you could use as suggested above, Miracast from a Windows device.

I admit at home I use a Apple TV, mainly for Netflix, but also for streaming from my iPad (can't afford/justify a Surface) Flixster...

G.

But the thing is, no one is going to buy an XBOX One specifically for the purpose of watching movies and streaming TV services. They could also implement video game streaming into an "XBOX Stick", same way as they plan to do for Windows 10 PC's and tablets. An XBOX Stick would not feature any gaming with out an XBOX One as a "host". It would specifically cater to those who want to stream and access music, movies & TV shows. So it's not really competing with XBOX, it even gives owners of an XBOX One a reason to buy an XBOX Streaming Stick device.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting one of those Intel-based sticks, load Windows 10, install Kodi, and retire my 2nd gen AppleTV. Windows will run all the stuff it will but without having to jailbreak it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3