What do you think about Windows Phone apps in tablets and PC's?

blaqui999

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I was looking in UserVoice for Windows Phone, and I read this:
"Allow Windows Phone apps to run in Windows 10 tablets and PC's"

What do you think about that, guys? Would be it good for Windows ecosystem?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ That's not the complete story. Universal apps are only as universal as devs want them to be. Although a universal app may technically run on desktops, tablets and phones, it will still require some additional work for the app to present an acceptable UI on each form factor. Nobody will force devs to do that work, so such an app may still only run on phones.

I suspect this feature request is asking MS to allow even those apps specifically and intentionally restricted to phones (incl. non-universal phone apps) to run on other devices, using the phone UI and perhaps in a fixed size window.

I understand this desire. I just think the phone UI on a larger screen or non-touch device would make for a very poor UX.

Considering we're now so close to W10, I'd say MS would do better to ignore this particular request and let universal apps partially solve it when W10 is released.

That means not all phone apps would run on larger devices, but those that do will at least always provide an acceptable UX.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I hope universal store comes with big store such as Android's play store.
now windows phone store is very small not available many apps for windows phone. And I hope Microsoft cut many limitations to work many apps in our phones.
always developers disappointed to make windows phone apps to see the windows phone limitations.

blaqui999

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
This is the uservoice link
windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7154405-allow-windows-phone-apps-to-run-in-windows-10-tabl

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone apps in PCs are not very useful- who wants to use an app made for touch interface on a desktop? Granted, there are a few apps that are mobile only but PC users want to use PC applications or their web browsers. On the flip side mobile users don't want to use PC applications.

I really think MS needs tablets to run the Windows Phone OS (been saying this since they introduced RT). I'm referring to tablets that are small and really only going to be used touch only, not the 2 in 1 devices that will continue to run Windows 8 or 10.

They need to keep them separate so they can optimize them for each platform, not merge them so they end up compromising on both just for the sake of uniformity (i.e. Internet Explorer on WP10 with the address bar at the top). Keeping them separate doesn't mean they can't work together seamlessly, in fact they already do.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess in theory you still couldtry a scaled render of the windows 10 for phones app on a windows 10 platform. The question I have then is why? With univeral apps you kind of have that option anyway. I think in the long run having a windows 10 phone app run on winodws 10 does not make sense. I think you want want to use at least half to the full screen real estate. It's funtion following form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon