Spartan is the name. Gabe indicated in Twitter

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
For those who have been following Gabe Aul and Joe B on Twitter, you would know how they always talked about "Project Spartan".

Not anymore. Gabe calls the new browser Spartan. Just that. Even in the follow ups when others have mentioned Project Spartan, Gabe casually calls it Spartan.

Maybe the name is here to stay?

Sent from my Darth V.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150306_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150306_0001.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 32

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I surely hope so because "Edge" is a terrible name. If I want something called "Edge" I ask Samsung for one of those new curved S6's.

Besides, Spartan is a far more powerful name. It has a certain ring to it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You are aware there is a character limit on Twitter, right? ;)

​I don't know that I'd read too much into this. Personally though, I think Spartan is a terrible name. We'll see though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as it's good, they can call it Mr. Potato Browser for all I care. Would certainly get some good press coverage. 😉

Last edited:

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I like the name.

But I don't think it's official yet... Project is seven characters and a space... So eight precious reasons not to write them on twitter.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I vote Artemis as the new name...jk, .but really, I don't really care as long as its a great browser. And +1 on the shorthand....quit reading so deep into his posts.

anon(5843918)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Spartan is great. There will be a good sense of continuity if Spartan continues to be the name. Also it won't confuse Windows 10 newcomers when it is released. So by keeping the name, it can only benefit windows 10 and msft

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Chances are that the Edge name is trademarked by Samsung for their new phones, and given the lawsuit happy nature of things lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung sue because Microsoft named their new browser Edge and claim it would cause "customer confusion".

Also, given the tech press and their general hate for all things Microsoft, it wouldn't be a heartbeat before some article blasted them for trying to copy the "cool" factor of Samsung by adoption the Edge name for their new browser. It should stay Spartan in my opinion. So many positives associated with that name.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope not. I would actually have to think actively what a browsers name is when I type internet explorer in the universal search. I think it will be confusing for a long time because I do not associate interent with spartan. I think many adults and people will run into this problem. There has to be at least a metadata label that associates the name Spartan with internet explorer. It's exactly the same issue with chrome.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I like Spartan as a name for the browser. Lean, mean Internet browsing machine. lol
Plus it ties in with Cortana nicely.

As far as people saying the name doesn't work because it sounds different or weird, how does Firefox, Chrome, or Safari sound any better as an Internet browser?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My sources indicate that Spartan will not be the final name, no mention of Explorer in the name, and Microsoft will be a part of the name. Since I know how much you love my sources (/s), I'll keep it as a rumor for now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap