Why does my laptop show a black screen minutes after Win10 TP installation?

n251ay

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Laptop shows black screen minutes after Win10 TP installation

Hi guys
First of all I'm very sorry if my English is not perfect, it is only my 3rd language.
Today I installed Windows 10 TP on my old HP Touchsmart tm2 laptop. First it all went well, I was able to log in and search for updates (iso is the first build). But after a few minutes the screen went of for about 3 seconds (black) and came on again only to turn dark again, come back and turn dark again. There it stopped. It's not totally dark, back lighting is still on I think. It actually felt like the laptop tried to switch to an external monitor 3 times until it finally managed to find one. But there is no external monitor connected! I tried to restart the pc several times but luck. I only get to the windows logo, after that I get a dark screen instead of the login screen. I also tried to actually connect an external monitor via VGA but it shows the same dark on the monitor.
I reinstalled Windows 10 TP and it all went the same way again.
When I tried to start in safe mode, I was able to login but couldn't open any apps/programs, not even the start menu. Ctrl+Shift+Esc finally worked and I could then run explorer.exe and get to the control panel.

Now I have no idea how I can get this laptop to work properly. What next steps do you guys recommend. I really appreciate your help!

Thank you!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Laptop shows black screen minutes after Win10 TP installation

Sounds like the Intel HD driver is not happy with that laptop. Perhaps boot into Safe Mode (F4 at boot) and see if that is stable.

Check you have the latest BIOS installed too. Probably from your older OS (Win7/8).

Tuomo Ruponen

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my HP Touchsmart tm2 laptop from Win8.1 just in last minute, July 29th.

When finished the display was black, but I managed to log in by giving my PIN-code and the Windows 10 Upgrade was activated. I checked that by visiting my Microsoft account devices page. Today I was able to get my laptop to boot into Safe Mode. Then I disabled ATI Radeon display adapter using Device Manager and rebooted to normal mode. And - tadaa - no more black display. Everything is working OK.

Dual display adapter configuration was problem also with Windows 8.x, but I cannot remember what I did with that years ago... Windows 10 even found HP Mobile 3G data card, which was useless with Windows 8.1!!

So, disable ATI Radeon display adapter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes