Can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition to Windows 10 Professional Edition for free?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's something you'll need to ask through your Microsoft Account manager, I imagine there's upgrade policies and pricing plans in place for this.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A direct upgrade is not possible, you'll have to go from 8.1 enterprise to 8.1 pro to 10 pro, provided Windows 10 is a valid edition.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Enterprise Editions of Windows are only distributed through Volume Licensing - I don't think it's possible to change the Enterprise licence to a consumer license type.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Win10 still isn't released, and as a result there's not 100% sure answer yet. However, at work, we had Windows 8 enterprise licenses, and the only way to upgrade them to 8.1 was through a clean install to also an enterprise license. An alternative was to purchase a Win8 retail license, replace the license on our computer, and then upgrade to Win8.1 for free.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How about Windows 7 ultimate ? Will I get Windows 10 Professional ?

WIndows 10 home I am sure is like WIndows 7 home, Most features but, no domain access, I use a domain in my home, as a IT professional I leave it to test GP and other things, My family all needs logons to use the computers (I can limit my kids via GP what they can do)....

Anyone know ?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Enterprise Editions of Windows are only distributed through Volume Licensing - I don't think it's possible to change the Enterprise licence to a consumer license type.

This is the correct answer. Enterprise version requires a different license and activation than EVERY other version. There is no upgrade path to any other edition other than Enterprise. FYI, Enterprise to Pro is not a downgrade, they are almost identical other than the licensing process.

If you want to go Windows 10 Pro, you will have to have a Pro+ version of a previous OS. Enterprise can only be upgraded through your enterprise or by yourself, however, there is a possibility that you will have to re-join it to the domain, so you will have to have admin access at the domain level to add the computer to the domain.

All in all, if this is not your own copy of Enterprise, I would not mess with it until you get the blessing from your technical support department that will be the ones supporting it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about Windows 7 ultimate ? Will I get Windows 10 Professional ?

Anyone know ?

The distinction here is Enterprise. Enterprise editions are managed by volume licensing and are therefore only available to corporations. Any Version of Windows that is available to the public (e.g Windows 7 Ultimate) can be upgraded to Windows 10. I imagine at some point soon there will be an upgrade adviser that will let you know which Windows 10 editions you can be upgraded to. Obviously, you'll want one with similar/better features.​

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The distinction here is Enterprise. Enterprise editions are managed by volume licensing and are therefore only available to corporations. Any Version of Windows that is available to the public (e.g Windows 7 Ultimate) can be upgraded to Windows 10. I imagine at some point soon there will be an upgrade adviser that will let you know which Windows 10 editions you can be upgraded to. Obviously, you'll want one with similar/better features.​

I know this, I have been an IT professional for over 20 years now.

I personally know some people(very wealthy clients may I add) who actually use Enterprise version of Windows 7 at home (they do have 15-20 machines in their home and WANTED it centrally managed)....

but, in my years, I have seen a little of everything when it comes to IT, I can tell many stories...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to make things clear, here are the upgrade paths from Windows 7/8 editions to the relevant Windows 10 editions

Recap of the latest key Windows 10 announcements - Official Microsoft Partner Network Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

• Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
  • Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
  • If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
  • Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
  • The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

Obviously, Enterprise upgrades are available through VL.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 32-bit install of Windows 7 Ultimate - will they allow me to upgrade to a 64-bit version of a Windows 10 Pro? I've been needed a 64-bit copy of Windows on my desktop for ages

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshi