Can I upgrade to full Windows 10 from Windows insider preview?

Aswin Thotapalli

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Upgrade to full Windows 10 from Windows insider preview

I am running windows insider preview on my Acer iconia. On july 29 when Windows 10 is launched, can i upgrade it directly or do i have to restore windows 8.1 and then upgrade to windows 10

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to full Windows 10 from Windows insider preview

MS told that the Insider Program goes up to the RTM version and beyond. But beware of the following. In my opinion it will still be a Insider Preview licensed version and as we already know each Insider Preview version expires after some amount of time and wont be fully functional after that until a newer IP version releases. So if you want a full licensed version that does not expire there is a high chance that you have to go back to 7 or 8.1 first or maybe MS will release ISO's also to people with valid licences. This is the way I THINK its happening, those are not known facts but the Insider Program is not targeted to provide people with free Windows Licences otherwise every person who owns a pirated version of Windows could get a legal one just by installing the Insider Program beforehand.

Last edited:

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

What about Notebooks with a product key branded into their UEFI chips, will they be able to "activate" their proper Windows 10 license without reinstalling?

Thunder_God_Bane

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I definitely want to know this, as I've got my Win 7 licence and prod key anyway. But I'd hate to think I'd have to restore back to Win 7 just to upgrade to 10. Please can someone from Microsoft confirm?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I definitely want to know this, as I've got my Win 7 licence and prod key anyway. But I'd hate to think I'd have to restore back to Win 7 just to upgrade to 10. Please can someone from Microsoft confirm?

An OS "Upgrade" from Microsoft hasn't required you to go back a version to go forward. You just had extra prompts to verify previous version of OS. Even if you used an Upgrade disc to clean install.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Gabe Aul of Microsoft addressed this question back in early May, his response was posted on Twitter.

Insider Question #1: @GabeAul Will you be able to upgrade to the #Win10 RTM version for free with #insiders preview?

Gabe Aul: Yes (WC users keep reading...)

Insider Question #2: @GabeAul @tao_huan Please make it clear. Do you mean free licence and activation or just free to upgrade?

Gabe Aul: "You'll have to be upgrading from a system with a valid license for 7 or 8.x"

So there you go, no FREE upgrade for Insiders UNLESS you have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers