My father is asking me if he should upgrade to Win 10?

matus201

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My father is asking me if he should upgrade to Win 10

My father is asking me if he should upgrade his (very "generic") desktop PC to Windows 10. He currently has Windows 7. Unfortunately, I am studying overseas and cannot directly help him if something goes wrong. What should I advice him?
(He is an old-school software engineer, but didn't keep up with new tech for the last 20 year - he can solve simple problems, but nothing requiring for example Device Manager.)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It still takes nearly 2 month's before the roll out starts.
The free update period will be 1 year.
Microsoft is planning to make this update process very easy so no complicated actions are needed.
And if he is happy with windows 7 then there is no immediate "need" to update.
Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in January this year, but security patches (extended support) will last until 2020.
In short there is no hurry to update.

So I would advice to postpone the update till you are back home. Because even if the update is easy the UI is changed and that may need some "figuring" out.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It still takes nearly 2 month's before the roll out starts.
The free update period will be 1 year.
Microsoft is planning to make this update process very easy so no complicated actions are needed.
And if he is happy with windows 7 then there is no immediate "need" to update.
Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in January this year, but security patches (extended support) will last until 2020.
In short there is no hurry to update.

So I would advice to postpone the update till you are back home. Because even if the update is easy the UI is changed and that may need some "figuring" out.

Great advice Harrie. I would suggest he wait as well. Chances are his Win 7 PC hardware would be a marginal success as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afileexplorer