Will Windows 10 TP upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? (Question From 8.1 User)

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I tried to find an answer to this question on the internet and forums but couldn't seem to get it anywhere. I understand it's common knowledge that if you have Win10 TP you will get a free upgrade to the full version just as you would if you had windows 7 or 8.1 I'm not sure if Microsoft officially announced it but that seems to be the general consensus.

I wanted to install TP on my laptop but was worried i would only get upgraded to the regular version of 10 and not the pro. I have the 3 devices that all run windows 8.1 PRO and i found out that upgrade will be "like to like". So if you have Windows 8.1 Pro or 7 Ultimate you will go to Windows 10 pro and the regular version if you don't. But if i change my OS from the pro version of 8.1 to 10 TP like everyone else how will the upgrade "know" that I had PRO 8.1 in the past and upgrade me to 10 Pro. This is the only reason that is keeping me from installing TP because of not knowing what version ill be upgraded to.

Sorry if this has been answered but like i said, i just couldn't find it. Hope its not too stupid of a question :/

Thanks for any insight into this.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your reply RumoredNow but that did not answer my question unfortunately. I know that 8.1 pro will upgrade to 10 pro. My question specifically is if I go from 8.1 to 10TP will I be upgraded to 10 pro? Like how will they know I HAD the pro version of 8.1 if I am now on 10 TP. Or will I get just the regular version of 10? If I know for sure I will get 10 pro from the technical preview I will install it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a month and 10 days away... I'm not sure what getting in on TP will do for you this late in the game except maybe practice using the new features. LOL

It seems plain to me that the Insider knows where you are coming from version wise. If in doubt, simply revert to your 8.1 and then install 10 official.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani