Installing now the technical preview and upgrade to the final version on the 29th

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a genuine Windows 8.1 that came with my laptop and therefore I am entitled to Windows 10 on the 29th of July. I've also read that the people on the technical preview will have to keep on receiving new "beta" builds with expiration dates. My doubt is, if I install now the latest build of the technical preview, will I be able to update it to the final build on the 29th and stay with that one? Meaning that, "they" will know that I come from a genuine windows and therefore I can have the final release and keep it as genuine.

The point is that I have some free time now to do the update, configure the settings, arrange tiles etc, and at the end of the month I would just update to the final version and keep everything.

advocatew8

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a genuine Windows 8.1 that came with my laptop and therefore I am entitled to Windows 10 on the 29th of July. I've also read that the people on the technical preview will have to keep on receiving new "beta" builds with expiration dates. My doubt is, if I install now the latest build of the technical preview, will I be able to update it to the final build on the 29th and stay with that one? Meaning that, "they" will know that I come from a genuine windows and therefore I can have the final release and keep it as genuine.

The point is that I have some free time now to do the update, configure the settings, arrange tiles etc, and at the end of the month I would just update to the final version and keep everything.

It is now confirmed that windows insiders will get the final build on the 29th first. If you decide to upgrade from 8.1 you will have to wait a bit longer and it will be rolled out in waves.

In answer to your question if you install the tech preview and get the final version on the 29th you can then opt out of getting insider builds any time you want.

So in a nutshell, perfectly safe to install win 10. Build 10162 is already such a great product and it can only improve before 29th.

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. And I guess that since I've already "reserved" windows 10 through that app that appears on windows 8 I guess that "they" will keep the information that my Windows was genuine, right?

advocatew8

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. And I guess that since I've already "reserved" windows 10 through that app that appears on windows 8 I guess that "they" will keep the information that my Windows was genuine, right?

Correct, they will always know you have upgrade from a genuine version 8.1.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Since you have spare time I suggest you try to install W10 to separate partition first to make sure you don't have any serious issue. Rolling back to W8.1 is not guaranteed to work on all devices and there are chances you'll lose your W8.1 completely. Just to be safe, reinstalling is always faster than recovering lost product keys from manufacturer.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It is now confirmed that windows insiders will get the final build on the 29th first. If you decide to upgrade from 8.1 you will have to wait a bit longer and it will be rolled out in waves.

In answer to your question if you install the tech preview and get the final version on the 29th you can then opt out of getting insider builds any time you want.

So in a nutshell, perfectly safe to install win 10. Build 10162 is already such a great product and it can only improve before 29th.

One thing that is fuzzy, in my mind, is can you opt in/out by machine, i.e. can I stayed opted in on my test machine but opt out on my main PC?

advocatew8

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing that is fuzzy, in my mind, is can you opt in/out by machine, i.e. can I stayed opted in on my test machine but opt out on my main PC?

The way I understand it is that you opt out by insider account. So If you use the same Microsoft account on both pc's then you will lose previews on both. If you use two different Microsoft accounts and only opt out of one then yes.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Correct, they will always know you have upgrade from a genuine version 8.1.

I had the same question as the OP. I can see them knowing you came from a genuine device if you installed the insider preview from Windows Update over 8.1 but what if you clean installed it? I know a lot of people install each preview then do a clean install by choosing the option to "completely clean my drive and reinstall windows" or installing it from an ISO. So you're saying they still know the device was genuine even if you do this? It must be logged in your MS Account then I guess. I installed 10162 from 8.1 using an ISO and did a clean install so I was wondering the same thing. Either way I will probably roll back to 8.1 to ensure there is no problems. I was thinking about remaining an insider but I don't know if I care to have that watermark on the bottom right hand of the screen and possible future bugs on updates. I also have the same MSA tied to other machines which are still running genuine 8.1 pro like my surface pro.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the same question as the OP. I can see them knowing you came from a genuine device if you installed the insider preview from Windows Update over 8.1 but what if you clean installed it? I know a lot of people install each preview then do a clean install by choosing the option to "completely clean my drive and reinstall windows" or installing it from an ISO. So you're saying they still know the device was genuine even if you do this? It must be logged in your MS Account then I guess. I installed 10162 from 8.1 using an ISO and did a clean install so I was wondering the same thing. Either way I will probably roll back to 8.1 to ensure there is no problems. I was thinking about remaining an insider but I don't know if I care to have that watermark on the bottom right hand of the screen and possible future bugs on updates. I also have the same MSA tied to other machines which are still running genuine 8.1 pro like my surface pro.
Your first upgrade installation of Windows 10 cannot be a clean install -- it must be an in-place upgrade. So MS must have some mechanism established to track current OS status (retail/OEM), and then make available an ISO for a clean install afterwards.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I guess part of my confusion stems from what a true clean install really means. So when I pop in the installation CD for 10162 (with 8.1 pro in place) and choose install windows (not upgrade) then I selected the main drive and hit format then install it from there...that is not considered a clean install? What would one have to do for a clean install...wipe out all the partitions?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess part of my confusion stems from what a true clean install really means. So when I pop in the installation CD for 10162 (with 8.1 pro in place) and choose install windows (not upgrade) then I selected the main drive and hit format then install it from there...that is not considered a clean install? What would one have to do for a clean install...wipe out all the partitions?
Yes -- but you have an ISO. The initial Win10 update will not include an ISO image -- it will be a downloaded update.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes -- but you have an ISO. The initial Win10 update will not include an ISO image -- it will be a downloaded update.

Yes that is correct the initial win10 update will be an update not an ISO. True. But the problem stems from if you are upgraded from a tech preview that is clean installed how will that affect knowing you came from a valid 8.1 or 7. I get the fact that if you stay at 7 or 8.1 then get 10 through an update THEN do a clean install...that makes sense because WU knows you came from 8.1 or 7 genuine. But if you had 8.1 then installed insider preview...then wiped the drive clean and reinstalled insider preview (like most do) how will the UPDATE to official win10 know if you once had 8.1 or some bootleg 8.1? That's the issue, does that make sense? Hopefully that didn't come off like sounding like an ***, I'm just trying to figure this out.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
But if you had 8.1 then installed insider preview...then wiped the drive clean and reinstalled insider preview (like most do) how will the UPDATE to official win10 know if you once had 8.1 or some bootleg 8.1? That's the issue, does that make sense? Hopefully that didn't come off like sounding like an ***, I'm just trying to figure this out.

It doesn't know. This has been discussed so often on these forums that it's become almost as platonic as "seems faster" or "where's Denim" or the ever so popular "why no Denim in India?" :wink:

If you want your free upgrade from 7/8/8.1 your first installation of Windows 10 needs to be an update therefrom. Period.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Finally an answer. I haven't seen a clear cut answer until you just said that honestly. Even Gabes post (the corrected one) doesn't make that clear.

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

Thats exactly what i have done. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ziyachater