I'm a Windows Insider but didn't install any pre-release builds

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, I joined the Windows Insider program, but I never installed any of the preview builds. Does anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th? I cannot find any definitive information about those that are part of the program, but didn't actually install any of the builds.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. I think the final version will come to insiders as a normal update via Windows Update, so you won't get it together with the insiders if you're not on a preview build.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking that too, but was wondering if MS was going to turn on the ability to install it via the Windows Insider web page (like you would do the first time you installed a preview build)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I expect so. I couldn't persuade my 8.1 install to get the update over Windows Update as it wouldn't show, so I downloaded the ISO as per the Insider Programme site's instructions and fed it the Tech Preview key. If the final version comes through Windows Update only then that would mean I get a free licence and can install my 8.1 pro with its key on another PC and then update that too. Somehow I don't think that's how it's going to work.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking that too, but was wondering if MS was going to turn on the ability to install it via the Windows Insider web page (like you would do the first time you installed a preview build)

I'm sure they'll indeed make that possible again, but I have no idea whether that'll be on July 29 or later.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
As for the OP, I would say, go ahead and download the iso for a previous build and install it. That is if you want to update on the 29th itself and even then some of the insiders might have to wait. I doubt all insiders will get the update on the 29th itself

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
As for the OP, I would say, go ahead and download the iso for a previous build and install it. That is if you want to update on the 29th itself and even then some of the insiders might have to wait. I doubt all insiders will get the update on the 29th itself

Would the installation be activated though?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
New installs will fail activation most likely, upgrade installs will activate just fine, at least the one I did this morning activated fine.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Probably later

Yes, that would be my guess as well :smile:
The sad truth is, no one knows. As japser states, it's a guess, although a good guess that those who don't have a current install will get it a bit later.

How is this guess arrived at? Microsoft plans to give the final version on the 29th to Insiders through the Windows 10 Update. Others who have reserved Windows 10 will get the upgrade path a bit later, but not much later.

I would also imagine that Insiders will also get the first chance to download the ISO for clean installs IF Microsoft releases it as such. That would be great for me, as I'm hoping to wait on the ISO to do the install.

I had helped to test several builds of both the phone and desktop Windows 10 OS, but am currently rolled back to 8.1 on both due to needing some of the functionality until 10 is complete.

For now, I am a WINO (Windows Insider in Name Only). WINOs don't generally get all the fun upgrades that active Insiders get. ;)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Nope. He recycled one previously used to mean Wife In Name Only. Recycled acronym. Simulacra.

Wow. Never heard that one. I was actually adapting the RINO acronym that I hear a lot in the Southern part of the United States.

I've got to be more careful with those WINO acronyms. ;)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Some of those RINOs are also WINOs - must be blind drunk to vote for some of the legislation they do and still try to convince voters they are a "conservative"

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
My Windows test platform is fine, I am just going to leave it on the insider program. I am wondering about my Surface Pro... Because I am a registered insider, will it get a prioritized upgrade?

Nobody can answer that, but interesting question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3