Computers came with Windows 7, hard drives are wiped, how to update to 10?

MitchHedberg

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 computers (asus and acer) that came with Windows 7 Home. The product keys are on the side of the computers. The hard drives have been wiped and are blank. How can I update to Windows 10? My guess is I have to download and install Windows 7 with the keys on the computer and then update, but where can I download a copy of Windows 7 from?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 computers (asus and acer) that came with Windows 7 Home. The product keys are on the side of the computers. The hard drives have been wiped and are blank. How can I update to Windows 10? My guess is I have to download and install Windows 7 with the keys on the computer and then update, but where can I download a copy of Windows 7 from?

The official word (as long as you have the license key for it) you need to contact the Manufacture of the PC to get the original disks for the product. If you go to Microsoft's download page and put in the key, they will tell you that.

What you need is a Windows 7 Home OEM disk, you can download them if you can find them. They ARE out there...A retail copy disc wont work. it needs to be OEM.

anon(5843918)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
You can download genuine Windows 7 ISOs direct from Microsoft, just google/bing it. Burn the ISO to a disc using a software like IMG-Burn, or create a bootable USB (I don't know how, it will be on the MS site where the ISOs can be downloaded from). Then boot from the ISO and install windows 7. Since the key is matched with the motherboard you should be fine activating windows 7 with the existing keys. If the keys don't work, you'll have to ring Microsoft automated phone activation to reactivate the keys.

After you have installed windows 7 keep updating and restarting until you get to the windows 10 update. It may take a looong time to fully update windows 7 to the stage, depending on how old the ISOs are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124