How can I turn off require password after wake?

smalba

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
So every time my surface pro 3 running windows 10 goes to sleep and I come back to it and try and wake it, it asks me to type in my password. I have set the option buried in the settings, to not require a password after waking it from sleep. But it continues to ask me to sign in every time. How can I get in to my computer without using a password every 10 minutes? I don't understand this. with windows 8.1 I was able to just swipe up from the wake screen without a password but now I always have to type in a password.

Please help!

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Right click Battery icon! Then Adjust power options! On the left corner check advanced power options! Toggle: Change defaults, then "Prevent PC from locking when Waking up"
P.s I said wrong, cause I don't have my Laptop at front of me! But that settings is in the battery icon menu in control panel! Just right click power option in the battery menu and find it!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. If I restart the system, I have to enter a password (which is normal). However, if I put the system to sleep, I don't want to enter a password to wake it. Under Windows 8.1, there was a setting to never require a password after the screen has been off for x time. I can't find that. I have the battery settings set as above - to not require a password from wake. However, it still wants a password every time I wake the system up.

andiskater

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Surface Pro 3. I have tried everything (settings in the Settings App, Control Panel, Registry...) nothing seems to have any effect.

bianguyen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Any chance you guys connect to your corporate exchange account? That could be a security policy enforced by the exchange server. If so it can't be overridden.

Ian Mac

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My Surface is doing the same, can't disable password prompt. Not connected to any exchange account. Hopefully will be fixed in upcoming patches.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I found something out - if you let your system sleep on its own - it won't prompt you for a password when you wake it up. If you press the power button to force it to sleep - it requires a password.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Same issue on Surface 3.
I have it set to 15 minutes and it happens within seconds literally.
Can't believe they released it like this.

Caleb Tivendale

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Solution to this problem is to reset your PIN or picture password. I have my Surface 3 set to require a password after 15 minutes, upgraded to Windows 10 and was being asked to enter it every time. I reset the picture password (wasn't using a PIN) and it works fine.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've tested it on 3 machines. If you are using an MS account, and force the system to sleep, it requires a password on wake. If you let it sleep on its own, it wakes up without a password prompt.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Solution to this problem is to reset your PIN or picture password. I have my Surface 3 set to require a password after 15 minutes, upgraded to Windows 10 and was being asked to enter it every time. I reset the picture password (wasn't using a PIN) and it works fine.

Yup this works for me too, although I don't use the picture I reset my PIN (to the same number) and if I lock then I can unlock without putting the pin in every time :smile:

jbull1

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Had same problem on Asus T100 -- so tried picking an old pic (in user account settings), then switching back to my desired pic -- and voila, no more password request!! Ridiculous bug, but thanks for that great and easy solution!! jb

takentalkpics

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
for surface users:
touch and hold on the battery icon on your desktop
choose "More Power Options"
on the left choose "Require a password on wakeup"
If you are on the admin desktop - the first user account you made skip to the last 2 steps
If you are on a different user account choose "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
You will then need the main admin "first user account" to sign in
touch "Yes"
Then choose "Don't require a password"
touch "save changes"

all done. :wink:
It worked perfectly for me and it is user account specific so you will need to change that for any accounts you have.

take and talk pics . com

Cheers
-Rob

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
That is a good thing especially if somone steals you pc. Tthey will get frustrated and break you PC rather then stealing your data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes