Is my copy of Windows 10 build 10240 genuine?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I today realized that the TH1 10240 Professional build which was installed on my machine a fortnight ago (with some patches received later) was actually the final RTM build which was released today to non-insiders.

Now, when I want to perform a clean install of this build over my current one (using Microsoft provided ISO), I am confused :confused:. I am confused about how would I retain my license? I Googled for an answer and came across this article - WinSuperSite - This article lists some FAQs for who shall and who shan't get Windows 10 for free. The list includes questions related to Insiders also. I glanced through them and read this:-

"Q. Will that copy of Windows 10 RTM that upgraded my preview build be a genuine copy of Windows 10?

A. NO"

I was surprised to read this :straight:. Then my confusion arose. If the copy of my Windows 10 RTM build is not genuine then how would I be able to retain my license after performing a clean installation of today's build!

Then I ran this command in the CMD - "slmgr.vbs -xpr" - and the dialogue box which appeared said my machine is permanently activated! Now this is what caused my confusion. So, is the copy of Windows 10 build 10240 genuine or not? If it is, then how would I be able to activate my Windows 10 if I clean install it using ISO image? Should I use some third-party software to extract my product key? Or my license shall be synced when I login using my Microsoft account? (I am sure it's not like that :wink:)

Screenshot (2).png

So, exactly how should I clean install my Windows 10 without losing my license? An elaborated solution would be great! Thanks in advance.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would use the recovery option in the settings. Should be like windows 8.1 where you choose "reinstall windows". I remember 2 options. First is a FRESH option that saves your files, the other not.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I would use the recovery option in the settings. Should be like windows 8.1 where you choose "reinstall windows". I remember 2 options. First is a FRESH option that saves your files, the other not.

I don't really worry about backing up my files because, I shall just copy those files to another partition. I have still not installed a single app from the Store. So, no worries 😊.

I want to format my current Windows partition and install Windows 10 afresh. So, if I do that, how would I be able to reactivate my Windows?

Edit:- the product key my PC is licensed with is a generic product key it seems. Many users on Reddit confirmed they have the same key installed.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just checked my activation. (Win 10 upgrade popped up when I rebooted). Finished the upgrade and checked activation. Its telling me my license is not valid and it cant activate. Oh boy.
Hoping its just launch bug or overloaded servers.​

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Same here, it indeed might be a launch bug. Also when i tried that "slmgr.vbs -xpr" - trick, it says windows is at notification state? (Or something like that, my system language is finnish)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynoGills