50GB of System Files and 4gb of temp files after Win 10 install.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey so I ended up using an extra 2 GB or so of hard drive space after the windows 10 install. I ran desk cleanup and removed the old windows files which was a lot. But wasn't Windows 10 supposed to free up space?

Prior to install the computer showed 241GB of 297GB used. Now it says 256GB of 297 used. And this is after windows 10 disk cleanup removed the old OS files which was something like 20GB.

Under storage use it shows

System and Reserved - 49.7 GB inside of which 42.1 GB is system files. Isn't this a lot? The rest of the 7GB under system and reserved is 3GB Virtual Memory, 3GB System Restore and 1.5GB Hibernation file

Apps and Games - 6.83 GB (I have no games and besides the stock apps, I might have just 5 apps installed chrome,vlc player, ytd, ccleaner and iTunes

Temp files - 3.98 GB and I always kept this clean with ccleaner prior to win 10 install but been scared to run it after the update because I'm waiting on more ccleaner updates to save from issues (heard some horror stories using ccleaner on win 10)

One Drive - 51 GB used - I saved movies now this is saved in the cloud not on my hard drive right?

Background. This computer I just got a week ago. I was restored back to factory 8.0 and I than updated to 8.1 and than updated to Windows 10.

Help me free up this space.

Thanks
Josh

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
try doing a "Disk cleanup"--this will let you delete temporary files and backups of old windows. Likely there is a backup for system restore back to WIn8.1. EDIT: Not sure how I missed the first portion of your post. Try one of these utilities: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-space-analyzer.htm

As for OneDrive--right click on the system tray icon, go to settings/properties--there is an option to make all OneDrive files "Online-Only". If you already ran Disk Cleanup, OneDrive maybe a culprit. Make sure all your files are "Online-Only"--you can also do this with the parent folders from OneDrive(In FIle Explorer)---right click on folder and select "Make available Online-Only"

Last edited:

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. After choosing online only for skydrive. What happens than if it wasnt already enabled. Files than r uploaded to the cloud? I added all movie files in fear i was gonna lose them after the update. So that was my first time using skydrive. I would like to delete those file backups now completly from skydrive anyway cloud or locally.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I can't really do anything with this pc right now. Its being really buggy. Like if I try to right click in anything I get program not responding and than kinda looks like windows explorer is crashing. Not sure. But either way. Clicking any kind of settings, file, folder, etc just gets a not responding.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Scenario. When I tried to open Onedrive a message popped up that it was an old version and a new version needed to be downloaded. I downloaded the new version of OneDrive and when I try to open it. Onedrive says the old version needs to be uninstalled. When trying to open Onedrive again or from the start menu I click uninstall it takes me to the factory program uninstall page which does not have OneDrive listed. So I'm at a loss. I only used to program once. Is there a way I can manually go into Onedrive and delete those files that are saved on my harddrive. And why wouldn't Windows 10 install the correct version of there own software when I updated Windows 10 instead of keeping windows 8.1 version that won't work.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The 50GB of system files is probably your previous Windows image still being saved. For 30 days, you can revert to your previous version of Windows, so it obviously has to save those files. If you don't want it to be there, you can either do a reset, or wait a month.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I just want to point out again guys I've ran desk check twice now. And the old System files were deleted prior to making this post. I checked again. And only have 2.8 mb of old windows previous installation files left. I think in the original post typed in that I removed 2GB of space but meant to say 21 GB of the old windows installation. There is nothing left on anything to delete on desk check and desk after clicking system files. I still have the same big number. And I'm still have a lot more used space on my harddrive than before the windows 10 upgrade happened. I just need to figure out a way to get into OneDrive somehow. Backdoor maybe. I know its the 50GB of movies.

151 GB is Apps, Videos, and Music all in the right places so I can keep track of usage.
But I have 104 GB of used space of I don't know what. Hard drive is 297GB total and 255GB being used.

Can anyone tell me how much your pc says under settings - storage - system and reserved and still Onedrive is showing 50GB of space but acts like its not installed even though when I click the new exe file it says its installed.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
PavanReddy was correct about OneDrive. All my files were saved locally when I used onedrive for the first time. I was finally able to go into onedrive and delete those duplicates. I'm glad I didn't do a clean install or I would have lost everything. The new onedrive finally activated for whatever reason after 4 days on windows 10 but I doubt I will set it up. Says you can save 15GB online. Which I think is minimal but oh well.

I'm still curious to see how much System and Reserved files you guys have showing up in your storage under settings.

If my number is actually higher than everyone elses I think its window 8 files that aren't showing up under desk check system files because I removed the 21 gb of windows old installation. But this computer was originally on windows 8 than I upgraded to 8.1 about 10 days ago and than windows 10 on release day. I just ran desk check again and there is only 4mb of old installation windows files showing up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy