My Windows 10 update is stuck at the Welcome Back screen, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

so i installed windows 10 this morning and it went through the steps and got to a point in the install that says "Hi there, welcome back!" with a "next" button in the bottom right of the screen. When i click it nothing happens. If i click on the screen after about a minute it goes lighter blue and then reboots back to the very same screen. Please help my computer has been rendered useless.

1olive

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you!

Worked for me! I unplugged my USB Wireless adapter. Rebooted, and Windows 10 allowed me to continue. (With "Next" ...)

Again, thank you.

Omg! Omg! Guys....thank you so much for this post..my Asus usb wifi dongle was the prob..i also was stuck at welcome screen..took dongle out n voila!! Got in fine...internet connection another story..gonna tackle that now by trying the suggestions on here
.knackered 48hrs of troubleshooting! Was fallin asleep at wrk 2day! Thank i all again for creating this community..
lifesavers!

Last edited by a moderator:

ibrahim ahmed6

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

I think I've found a solution to this problem, or at least this is what worked for me.

TL;DR - Try disabling network devices or removing as many USB peripherals as possible.

[Some background info]
- I performed the windows 10 upgrade through the media creation tool downloaded from Microsoft's website.
- The system I am upgrading is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 custom built desktop machine; therefore upgrading to Windows 10 Home.
- I am using a USB 3.0 Wi-Fi adapter to connect this system to the internet (Netgear AC1200 model: A6210-100PAS)

[Solution]

On the 'welcome back!' screen after performing the Windows 10 upgrade, my system would stall when trying to move forward by either clicking 'Next' or trying to switch user, and if I clicked a subsequent time the computer would just restart and begin the same loop over again. (not a very nice 'welcome back!' experience)

The way I fixed this problem was simply by unplugging my USB Wi-Fi adapter and booting up the system. At this point the system was not connected to the network and I was able to move forward from the 'welcome back!' screen without the system freezing up and restarting. Not sure if the solution was based on the fact that the PC was no longer connected to the network or just simply removing a USB device from the PC during setup.

I hope this helps anyone having a similar issue.
Thank you man you're great :)

Paeinovis

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

I think I've found a solution to this problem, or at least this is what worked for me.

TL;DR - Try disabling network devices or removing as many USB peripherals as possible.

[Some background info]
- I performed the windows 10 upgrade through the media creation tool downloaded from Microsoft's website.
- The system I am upgrading is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 custom built desktop machine; therefore upgrading to Windows 10 Home.
- I am using a USB 3.0 Wi-Fi adapter to connect this system to the internet (Netgear AC1200 model: A6210-100PAS)

[Solution]

On the 'welcome back!' screen after performing the Windows 10 upgrade, my system would stall when trying to move forward by either clicking 'Next' or trying to switch user, and if I clicked a subsequent time the computer would just restart and begin the same loop over again. (not a very nice 'welcome back!' experience)

The way I fixed this problem was simply by unplugging my USB Wi-Fi adapter and booting up the system. At this point the system was not connected to the network and I was able to move forward from the 'welcome back!' screen without the system freezing up and restarting. Not sure if the solution was based on the fact that the PC was no longer connected to the network or just simply removing a USB device from the PC during setup.

You're a life saver tysm... I even called Microsoft and was stuck on the phone w them for thirty minutes and did some weird stuff to my motherboard ty (;_;)

Lynn Ausley

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

[Some background info]

[Solution]

David Safir

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I just finished two laborious updates from Windows 7 to 10. On my Toshiba it just took forever, but on my HP I was completely blocked, no trick of any kind worked, just stuck on the screen described in this thread. Since I kept reading about network issues, I plugged the computer directly into my Modem/router via CAT wire and the installation immediately woke up and finished, took about another 20 minutes. This seems to me is some confusion on the installer's part with wifi, so bypassing that seemed to work quickly.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

The best approach is to make a DVD or USB stick from the ISO download, then install it fresh. So long as the OEM version of Windows on the target PC has been activated already, W10 can now take your W8/7 key from the firmware and activate itself without doing an upgrade first. If you have a retail copy of W7/8 rather than OEM you can type in your key and it will be accepted.

katieaflower

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site

I was just going to post that but took me this long to sort out my USB WiFi drivers for Win 8/10. =) WiFi is probably the main culprit. Congrats and hopefully others will stumble on this thread from Google like I did.

Wow my hero. 2 days of stress and annoyance and all I needed do was to remove wifi USB. Happy happy happy thank you xx

ET3D

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to add my thanks for the USB WiFi fix. Just updated an old PC and got that issue. Removed some USB peripherals but not the WiFi (figured it would be useful). Had to read this to remove it, and it worked.

Edit: And back to Windows 7 I went. Windows 10 didn't recognise the WiFi adapter and ethernet connection didn't work, probably some problem with the nForce chipset. At least reverting to 7 worked. Not sure now if anything is amiss, I hope not.

Last edited:

dladhkbr

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site

I love you, I really do, as soon as I took off the USB Wi-Fi and restarting I was able to past through the welcome back screen and finished the configuration. I use a Panda Wireless USB adapter in case that helps for something. Just got it removed and I am back on business, previously I tried removing other usb peripherals but was hesitant on removing the wireless adapter.
Thank you! I love him too! I just got a panda wireless adapter for my Compaq presario.... Unplugging it made it work like a charm. Thanks!

chris2nick

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
The USB Wifi fix is no use for me. I'm stuck on the blue welcome screen, but I am directly cabled to the net! It loads after about 40 minutes, but that's hardly acceptable. I have System Restored using 3 Restore Points and none have solved it.

The problem just appeared from nowhere when I switched on yesterday :-(

Last edited:

Bookiewookie

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

[Some background info]

[Solution]

THANK YOU!!! Removing my Wi-Fi adapter and rebooting did the trick. Now I just need to get through the rest of the setup.

BeccaMew

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

[Some background info]

[Solution]

I want to thank you from the bottom of my angry little Irish heart. I am curious though. How did you get internet after that? My computer seems to hate my adapter now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs