How can I move Windows 10 to a new machine? (I upgraded from Windows 7 retail boxed licence)

whitedragon101

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a boxed retail copy of Windows 7. The retail license allows me to use it on one computer at a time but I can also wipe a computer and install it on another as long as its only ever used on 1 at a time. I paid the extra for a retail copy rather than an OEM copy which is locked to one PC.

I was told before I upgraded by Microsoft support that a Windows 7 retail copy would upgrade to a Windows 10 retail copy. (i.e a copy with the ability to move from machine to machine)

However, I have just upgraded my PC. I then contacted Microsoft Support. I asked them how I can get the Windows 10 licence key for my new copy for when I move to a new machine. They seem to have changed their mind and basically said I can't and that the copy is locked to the current machine (although the answers were very vague). That is not how a retail licence works. They never warned of the upgrade being locked to one PC like an OEM licence.

I will only be using this machine for 7 more days before I wipe and move to a new machine. I asked if I could install the Windows 7 on the new machine and upgrade again using the USB stick I made via the Microsoft Windows 10 installer tool. The support operator said "I can not guarantee it, you may have activation issues." He said I can buy a new copy of Windows 10 for the machine.

Can anyone help? Will I be able to activate Windows 10 by installing Windows 7 and upgrading on my new machine?

I really don't want to be forced to buy a retail copy of Windows 10 when I was told I would get one free.

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is what is bugging me also.

I have a PC upgraded from 8.1 to 10. If I decide in six months time to completely rebuild my PC with new hardware, that new PC won't be able to activate unless I install 7, 8, or 8.1 on it?

OneFiveFiveOne

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit full retail Copy to, and I will not upgrade until I get this issue resolved. have made the decision at this time to run this copy of Windows 7, until end-of-life or I can get a clear answer from Microsoft.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry about it. Go on with your life as usual. You paid for a retail transferable license. If in the future you have activation issues just contact MS support and they will fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos