Windows 10 Activation as Insider

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So as many has already discussed here my Windows won't activate after I did a clean install of it.
The steps I took was that after it did the self update from my last insider build I decided to do a clean install with the mediacreationtoolx64 because after doing a normal "reset of pc" I ended up in a loop of BSOD that I couldn't escape.
I was hoping very much that my windows account would automatically link my profile so my windows would stay legit, though now it seems I'm without an activation code and can't return to the insider build. Am I screwed without a key now?
Also I get the [Error code: 0xC004C003] which I understand means "busy servers" but I'm afraid I might not have a key for it to activate at all once it comes alive again.
Am I right/wrong in things? A helping hand would be great, thanks!

**Also when I try force activate it through cmd prompt it gives a "The activation server has determined the specified product key is blocked".. hmm

AMG1978

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I did the microsoft chat. the guy said MS will fix this within 24-48 hours
I did the microsoft call. the guy said that you cannot clean install. the reason my product key (which I had to use a tool to grab from Win10 after it was an upgrde of Win7) wont work in a clean install of Win10 is because it is specifically an upgrade key. you must ALWAYS upgrade. I dont think the guy knows what he is talking about. or if he does, that sucks bad!

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Well **** then I need to get my old Technical Preview Windows installed again then upgrade? ... seems stupid. I'll wait the storm out a bit before doing another clean install of anything.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I did the microsoft call. the guy said that you cannot clean install. the reason my product key (which I had to use a tool to grab from Win10 after it was an upgrde of Win7) wont work in a clean install of Win10 is because it is specifically an upgrade key. you must ALWAYS upgrade. I dont think the guy knows what he is talking about. or if he does, that sucks bad!

The guy either doesn't know what he's talking about or communicated poorly. Hundreds in this forum have successfully activated a clean install. It can work, but it does require some preparation and reading so as to understand what the process is.

This is all explained in more detail here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...0015-windows-10-upgrade-installation-faq.html

I was hoping very much that my windows account would automatically link my profile so my windows would stay legit

It's the in-place upgrade that adds the upgraded W10 key to your MS account (having done an in-place upgrade to the W10 insider preview way back when works too). Without having done that, there is no W10 key associated with your account and there is no way to get it there. Zero. Yes, you are screwed.

Well **** then I need to get my old Technical Preview Windows installed again then upgrade? ... seems stupid. I'll wait the storm out a bit before doing another clean install of anything.

No.

As explained in the FAQ, that will do absolutely nothing for you. All you'll have is a W10 installation that isn't activated and never can be activated, because you'll still lack a valid W10 key.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon