Super Slow WiFi on Windows 10

lostinthisplace

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded to windows 10 yesterday with two PC's and noticed a huge difference in speed for internet on both PC's. We thought it was a ISP problem so we called last night and they got someone over this morning. The tech couldn't find a problem. So he started helping me troubleshoot what was going wrong. The 2 PCs we upgraded to windows 10 and both are getting about 5 down and 12 up on the wifi. We have one we didn't upgrade as we don't use it much and when we tested it with the engineer today it its getting the right speeds of 94-96 down 18-20 up. Checked on my ipad and and iphone both getting the right speeds. So the problem has to be windows 10. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mohamed Elgamal

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
yes it's win 10 that causes the problem!
I have the same issue and to make sure open task manager> more details>and look at the network bar
you will notice that "service host" is eating your network...After spending some time searching about that I found the issue "updates from more that one place" you can find it by going to all setting (from action center)>update and recovery>advanced options>chose how updates are delivered and here you can turn it off. Give it a shot and let us know if it worked for you.

lostinthisplace

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mohamed i tried what you suggested and still slow. :( Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers too but that didn't work either. I feel like im back on dial up... how did we ever live with slow internet? #firstworldproblems

lostinthisplace

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I read on another forum where people were having the same problem to uninstall the network card and then restart and then it will auto detect the network card when you start up and then you reinstall the driver. Well I tried that and it all when to plan until it wouldn't install the driver. It kept timing out and there was really nothing I could do. So I went back to 8.1 and all is well again with my wifi. I think I'll wait a few months to try windows 10 again.

Also, from my searching today the wifi bug seem to be effecting most dell computers with the killer network manager. They do have a killer network manager update on their website but you can't install it on windows 10 without deleting the old one first. But you can't delete the old one because the version for windows that you are running isn't compatible with it so you end up getting a loop of error messages say you can't install this until you uninstall this one and then you can't uninstall this one because you're using the wrong version of windows and repeat. So it might work to update it first then install windows 10?

Gigahorse

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
BUMP

I've been having this issue since day one of release as well. Connection should be 50mbps and worked fine on Windows 7. Upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm lucky to get 15mbps on speedtest. I've gone into device manager to tried to remove/update network card driver, I've told the network card to uninstall and then restarted PC, still slow speeds.

Hard to believe there's something going on with Windows 10 that has tanked so many people's WiFi speed and there hasn't been an immediate fix for it.

Anyone who posted here to say they were having this problem find a solution yet?

Crimsonrellik

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue with slow wifi on one of my laptops. It was an HP Pavilion. For me it turned out to be a driver issue.
The wireless card's drivers installed with windows 10 were actually an older version number than any of the current windows 8.1 drivers.
Essentially what was happening to me was the wireless was dropping data packets over and over. This causes the speed to significantly decrease as only some of the data is getting sent/received and has to be sent/received again until it get through to the host or server.

Here are a few things that can help us assist you;
1) What is the model of wireless card in your computer and what are the current version numbers. This will help us locate newer drivers hopefully, if need be.
-Type View net in the search bar and select View network connections. Right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties.
-Press the Configure... button.
-Take note of the full name.
-Go to the Driver tab and take note of the provider, date, and version.
-Go to the Details tab then from the drop down menu choose hardware IDs and take note of the IDs listed in there.

2) Do a ping test.
-Open a command prompt. (easiest way would be to type CMD in the search bar and then press enter)
-Type ping windowscentral.com -n 20 and press enter. (you can ping any site you like, bing.com, yahoo.com, google.com, etc..) the -n 20 tells it to run 20 ping attempts. (You can set this to however many you want, or just remove -n 20 for a standard 4 attempts)
-If you get 20/20 successful attempts, you are not losing packets. If you are this may be why you are having slow speeds.

3) List the above information in this thread. I will help if I can. This may not be your issue, but a driver update, regardless, could fix your issue.

Now, my problem, again, was with an HP laptop. It had a (QUALCOMM) Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g card in it. I managed to dig up some beta win10 drivers that cover a whole spectrum of Atheros cards. If they end up being what anyone needs I will gladly share them.

Hope we can get you all sorted out.

LilyRHA

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm not hugely technical, but I had the exact same problem when i went from Win 7 to Win 8. I managed to fix it then (after days of trawling for answers). Now that I've upgraded to Win 10, I had the same thing happen. So tried to remember the steps I took before. It was only intermittent in the first place, but this seems to have worked for me... And it's very simple, so worth a try

Open settings > search 'network adapter' > choose device manager > choose network adapters > choose the one you're using (for me it was Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11 PCI-E NIC) > click on the advanced tab > click on wireless mode > change 'Auto' to IEEE 802.11 g/b

As I say, I'm not technical, so could be totally wrong for you, but very easy to change, so worth a try.

Ron Spring

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
The solution for me was to go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off "Location". My Wi-Fi speed is now consistent at the highest speed I am paying for and returns the same result on speed test as my wired connection.

kristinbare77

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi--my problem is not slow wi-fi but wi-fi that connects intermittently. After I wake up my laptop from sleep mode (or boot it up), sometimes the wi-fi won't connect. When I go to Network Settings and click on Wi-Fi, nothing happens--it won't even let me choose that option. I've tried running the Troubleshooter, changing settings in Device Manager, reinstalling the wifi adapter driver, etc. etc. The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting, up to five times before the wi-fi shows up. I bought this laptop less than 3 months ago and the wi-fi worked fine for the first two months. The problem started after an automatic weekly Windows update and I tried a system restore after that, which worked. But after the next Windows update, it stopped working again. I can't do a restore every week. I've run virus and malware scans and nothing was found.
System details:
HP Pavilion 15-ab057nr
OS: Windows 10 (system was first loaded with Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to 10 when I bought it)
Wi-Fi adapter: Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n
Driver: Realtek 2023.18.0814.2015
Modem: Actiontek C1000A modem
Hardware ID values:
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUSYS_804C103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUSYS_804C103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_0280

I tried your ping test and it checked out okay 20 out of 20 times.
I realize you were answering a different question originally. But you seem helpful and knowledgeable, so if you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate them! Thank you! Kristin

amintnt

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm not hugely technical, but I had the exact same problem when i went from Win 7 to Win 8. I managed to fix it then (after days of trawling for answers). Now that I've upgraded to Win 10, I had the same thing happen. So tried to remember the steps I took before. It was only intermittent in the first place, but this seems to have worked for me... And it's very simple, so worth a try

Open settings > search 'network adapter' > choose device manager > choose network adapters > choose the one you're using (for me it was Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11 PCI-E NIC) > click on the advanced tab > click on wireless mode > change 'Auto' to IEEE 802.11 g/b

As I say, I'm not technical, so could be totally wrong for you, but very easy to change, so worth a try.

Thank you! It finally worked. I reinstalled the drivers but didn't work. I'm just mentioning my hardware here so other people may find this reply too.
I'm on an Asus K550J laptop with a Realtek 8821AE Wireless Lan 822.11ac PCI-E NIC adapter.

bjay51

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I am probably having the same problem although I can't absolutely confirm that it started with the Win 8.1 - 10 upgrade. I have an HP Pavillion laptop 64-bit, 1yo. My home broadband d/l speeds when Ethernet-connected are 22Mbps - 32Mbps. On wifi I get 0.5Mbps - 3.5Mbps. iPhone on wifi gets 18Mbps - 23Mbps download speeds. My Wifi Adaptor is Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. I have tried all of the suggestions above with no real improvement. HP Service have replaced the Wifi Adaptor last week and it seemed to work OK there (10Mbps) but not at home. The driver was updated to Ver 2023.15.701.2015. The "Hardware Ids" are:
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_2231103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_2231103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_0280

I have turned "Location Services" Off. I have done Ping tests which doesn't show any packet loss although Latency average was about 24ms, which seems slow. Wireless Mode is 802.11b/g. Wifi signal strength seems good.

Are there any other suggestions, or any other information I can provide to help with diagnosis?

An update:
On another thread on this forum, someone suggested that there may be a conflict between the Bluetooth and the Wifi adaptor. I have turned off Bluetooth and do get a better signal. Unfortunately my mouse is Bluetooth-connected (one month old). Any suggestions how to resolve this, if it is the cause of my problem? Bluetooth drivers are up to date (Microsoft).

Last edited:

bjay51

May 9, 2016
Visit site
It seems I have found the cause of my problem. It is a new (April 6) Logitech M337 Bluetooth mouse. This also fits with the timeframe of when my wifi problems started. Somehow this Bluetooth mouse interferes with the Wifi signal on my Realtek RTL8723BE Wifi Adaptor, which I think also handles the Bluetooth signal. When I stop using the M337 mouse and use my VERY old Targus Bluetooth mouse (AMB02US) my Wifi speed returns to 22Mbps - 32Mbps, the maximum I can expect from my Telstra cable broadband service. I have contacted Logitech - awaiting response.

manuel yau ng1

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
i also have this issues windwos 10 so suc and buglow velocity.png this is said 7 mbps or 5,5 or 6 29
before install windows 10 version 1511 dont have this problem. have 54 mbps stable.
and my speed network is only 2mbps ,the uploadstream is fine.speed-test-results-2Mbps_thumb[1].jpg
the speed of my internet subscribed is 6mpbs, i download speedstest on my android, have 6 mpbs succefully speed.
and my second pc is a laptop test is fine.downloadspeed3.jpg

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wifi is difficult. It is more about understanding radio ham stuff than having a good IT understanding. I can give a few tips, but the only way to really understand it is to read up on wifi and networking in general to get a good grounding in the subject.

1) Install the latest drivers from your network adapter's chipset manufacturer's web site (Realtek, Intel, Netgear etc.) and the Bluetooth driver as they are often part of the same chipset.

2) Never plug a USB wifi or BT adapter (OR ANY TRANSMITTER) into a USB3 port. In fact, you may need an extension cable just to get it as far away from USB3 as possible. USB3 puts out a tonne of RF interference on the 2.4GHz band due to it being a ropey standard.

3) Try 5GHz mode if you don't have many walls between your PC and the router.

4) Bluetooth can be a problem if it is combined with the wifi chip. Basically, it depends on the number of aerials your system uses. If you have 2 aerials, and you turn on BT, it will use one and wifi the other which can reduce speed but should be alright. Still, only turn on BT if you need it, and turn it off again afterwards. If you only have one aerial though, such as in stick PCs and some tablets and even laptops, running both BT and Wifi can result in awful speeds and connectivity issues. It is a hardware limitation. You will have to choose which you need, and possibly use a BT USB adapter or wifi USB adapter to improve your situation by effectively adding another aerial dedicated to the USB transmitter.

5) All this is much easier if you remember this simple rule: Only use a Bluetooth input device as a last resort. Try a dongle based wireless kb/m set instead, hopefully a Logitech unified dongle set as they have the best transmitters bar none.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa