Why do I have input not supported after Windows 10 install?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why do i have input not supported after windows 10 install

I have been installing windows 10 all went okay, but then screen went blank and the floating "input not supported" was showing.

how do I fix this problem?

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
In my case I guess it was some sort of video controller issue. That is, after fixing it the video controller in Device Manager had an exclamation point after it and in its properties it said the driver was not installed.

To fix the 'input not supported' problem I had to enable F8 to provide a boot menu. This I did by inserting the Windows 7 DVD the computer came with, choosing Repair... and opening a command prompt. After changing the directory to C:\Windows\System32, I typed bcdedit to see what was in there, just curious. Then I typed: Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Rebooting, the computer stopped at the screen where it allows you to strike F8 for boot options. I had thought I needed to get to Safe Mode and change the screen resolution to, in my case, 1280 x 1024, but I was never able to enter Safe Mode. The same floaty message appeared -- 'input not supported'. I tried F8 a second time and chose "Enable low-resolution video". That did it. I could change the resolution to 1280 x 1024 and go into Windows 10 the next time without choosing a special boot option.

Once you're OK, get to an elevated command prompt (right click its shortcut and choose 'Run as Administrator') and type Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

If you don't have a Windows 7 DVD, you may be able to get to a Command Prompt with a System Repair Disc. On a Windows 7 computer Start / All Programs / Maintenance, Create a System Repair Disc. A CD will be sufficient; the data written to it is less than 350 MB.

My video controller still has the 'driver not installed' issue, which choosing 'to update driver' didn't fix, but the computer works. I also had to change the PS2 keyboard to a USB keyboard. The PS2 didn't work at all. Maybe it was too soon to upgrade.

amaze_hen

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I had this same issue. It was due to me using a VGA monitor. I had to change the settings in the Advanced Startup Mode. But, of course, how do you do that when you can't see anything?? I was able to get a picture to show up by borrowing a friend's DVI cable and plugging it in that way. I'm assuming Windows 10 defaults to some sort of digital output setting for monitors so I wasn't able to see it before. Once, I was able to set up, I held shift and restart to get into the Advanced Startup Mode, then was able to select "Enable Low-Resolution Mode". Worked perfectly after that. Hope this helps anyone else having this issue!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss