Windows 10 UEFI/LEGACY question

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
HI Everyone,

I need a clarification on whether or not what happened to me will be problematic in the future..

So I have a lenovo y50-70 which I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1, then used a usb with windows 10 on it to do a clean install. However, when I did the install I had to change from UEFI to legacy (though looking back I realized I don't think I needed to do that and could boot from usb via pushing f12, but it's too late for that now). So I changed to legacy, changed the boot order, and was able to boot and do a clean install of windows 10....

Now I was trying to change it back to UEFI but my SSD doesn't show up at all under UEFI and only under legacy, even if I try to push f12 when it's booting up in UEFI mode there are no drives listed (just network boot options). I've gone into bios and tried changing a lot of different things to see if I could get my boot drive to pop up under UEFI but no luck. So as of right now, I can only boot in legacy mode.

NOW, I'd rather not do a complete reinstall again, so my question is if it matters that I'm booting from legacy? If it doesn't matter and won't negatively affect me later, then I'm not going to bother... But if it will cause me some headaches down the road, then I want to know if I can change it back to UEFI without doing a new clean install.

I hope my explanation makes sense... Thanks for the help.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
HI Everyone,

I need a clarification on whether or not what happened to me will be problematic in the future..

So I have a lenovo y50-70 which I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1, then used a usb with windows 10 on it to do a clean install. However, when I did the install I had to change from UEFI to legacy (though looking back I realized I don't think I needed to do that and could boot from usb via pushing f12, but it's too late for that now). So I changed to legacy, changed the boot order, and was able to boot and do a clean install of windows 10....

Now I was trying to change it back to UEFI but my SSD doesn't show up at all under UEFI and only under legacy, even if I try to push f12 when it's booting up in UEFI mode there are no drives listed (just network boot options). I've gone into bios and tried changing a lot of different things to see if I could get my boot drive to pop up under UEFI but no luck. So as of right now, I can only boot in legacy mode.

NOW, I'd rather not do a complete reinstall again, so my question is if it matters that I'm booting from legacy? If it doesn't matter and won't negatively affect me later, then I'm not going to bother... But if it will cause me some headaches down the road, then I want to know if I can change it back to UEFI without doing a new clean install.

I hope my explanation makes sense... Thanks for the help.

If you use UEFI, you can enable Secure Boot which supposedly makes the OS more secure against some certain types of malware. If you don't care about that (like me), using legacy boot gives you much better flexibility, especially if you want to dual boot with a Linux OS.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I generally know my way around a computer and can at least research things to fix anything I find wrong, so I'm not likely to click on sketchy things and get malware. I'm not particularly worried about viruses or malware, I'm just not sure if there are other issues that can come from booting in legacy mode. The weird thing is, I don't know how to switch back to UEFI. Do I have to do a new clean install except in UEFI mode? It seems to be that way, but I don't know why the OS drive would disappear from UEFI unless it's because I installed windows 10 while in legacy mode?

Last edited:

Brennan Schild

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
When you created a fresh install did you format your hdd? I have recently done this and deleted my efi partition which is the part that you might be missing. Check to see if you have that partition on your drive using disk management in windows or a live disk of Ubuntu and use gparted. If you want to recover uefi, I found a link that will fix it and place the boot on that partition. you will need a minimum of 260mb, for the partition. GL :) Since I am unable to post links just google, windows can't start due to missing efi partition.

michael nabil01

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Open the storage manager where you resize and create new partitions. Look at the left beside the partitions, if it has "basic MBR" written there, you will need to convert the install to gpt to boot with uefi. The only way to do this is to download AOMEI partition assistant. Right click the hdd where windows is installed and choose convert to gpt disk. Then go into bios and turn off legacy boot. I did this myself because of the same problem. PM me for further help.

Sent from my HTC One M8 for Windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans