Disable automatic app updates

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Windows 10 Home since day one and I still haven't figured out a way to disable automatic app updates. When I go to the Store settings all I get is this:
Untitled.png
However, I am the administrator. I know that in Windows 10 Home edition you cannot disable the updates that you get with Windows Update. Does this also include the updates that you get through the Store?

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft did release a program that lets you hide updates.. I was searching yesterday for a way to know anything that was going on with updates and this was the only thing that I found that gives me control on what gets updated. I run it often to see if updates are in queue for me and if I don't want it to update I hide it. Hope this is somewhat helpful. The program is called wushowhide.diagcab

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I no longer get automatic updates. However, I am unable to stop them entirely. The tool bonskibon37 mentioned will allow you to prevent it from updating drivers.

What I did was set my connection as a metered connection. I can now go in and look at updates waiting and see what they are before I allow the download. I can't pick and choose. If I ever want to get an update again, I have to get them all unless I single out drivers with the tool that bonskibon37 mentioned. However, at least I don't have the updates using up all my bandwidth all day. I get to choose when and how often I take the updates all at one time. Nice since I have to pay for limited bandwidth.

Setting it to a metered connection will also stop store app updates, MS Office 365 updates, and Windows 10 updates. OneDrive will still synchronize, though, so be careful with that one. For me, I need OneDrive to stay synced, so it works out quite nice.

Hope this helps a few people out there. No, it doesn't return control, but it does give me what I was concerned about. I want the security updates, but I'd rather wait a few days to make sure they iron out any wrinkles that may be introduced before I download it. This method works.

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I no longer get automatic updates. However, I am unable to stop them entirely. The tool bonskibon37 mentioned will allow you to prevent it from updating drivers.

What I did was set my connection as a metered connection. I can now go in and look at updates waiting and see what they are before I allow the download. I can't pick and choose. If I ever want to get an update again, I have to get them all unless I single out drivers with the tool that bonskibon37 mentioned. However, at least I don't have the updates using up all my bandwidth all day. I get to choose when and how often I take the updates all at one time. Nice since I have to pay for limited bandwidth.

Setting it to a metered connection will also stop store app updates, MS Office 365 updates, and Windows 10 updates. OneDrive will still synchronize, though, so be careful with that one. For me, I need OneDrive to stay synced, so it works out quite nice.

Hope this helps a few people out there. No, it doesn't return control, but it does give me what I was concerned about. I want the security updates, but I'd rather wait a few days to make sure they iron out any wrinkles that may be introduced before I download it. This method works.

Brilliant... just did this. This will stop me from running the wushowhide so often to bypass any updates.

Last edited:

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Does this setting have any affect on notifications?

To change settings on a laptop to metered.. open settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi, Advanced Options, Set as Metered connection to on.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

I also figured out that using the Battery saver prevents Windows Update from downloading updates. However, it doesn't stop the installation process and it does affect the Store updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di