Dual Booting my Windows 10 Upgrade

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a custom built PC that is currently running Windows 7 Ultimate. I am interested in doing a clean install. The problem with that is that I would like to install my free Windows 10 upgrade alongside my copy of Windows 7. That way I could slowly configure 10 and migrate my stuff over from 7 myself and then delete the Windows 7 partition later.

Is there any way I could do this without having to actually buy Windows 10? It would be much easier for me, quite possibly other people too.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Its a lot of work and you need some extra storage space depending on you 7 Install size, but make a image of your 7 setup, upgrade to 10 make a new partition and restore the 7 image to your new drive? That seems like it would work..

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a custom built PC that is currently running Windows 7 Ultimate. I am interested in doing a clean install. The problem with that is that I would like to install my free Windows 10 upgrade alongside my copy of Windows 7. That way I could slowly configure 10 and migrate my stuff over from 7 myself and then delete the Windows 7 partition later.

Is there any way I could do this without having to actually buy Windows 10? It would be much easier for me, quite possibly other people too.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

The only way is if you have a copy (dvd or iso) of win7sp1 or win8 laying around, you can install it in a separate partition which later can be upgraded to win10 and dual booted with your win7u.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I might try taking an image of my Windows 7 partition and see if I can do it that route, may or may not work of course. As for a spare copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8, I do have a spare, but it is 32-bit. I might be able to trick it into installing 64 though as I have in the past. That trick may actually be my best bet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs