After WIndows 10 Upgrade, I lost my printer. What to do?

W

WPCentral Question

After WIndows 10 Upgrade, I lost my printer on devices. I re-install the printer's driver and still it doesn't print. All my documents were in queued all the time. And then I visited my "Devices" again and found there were already 2 printers (the other one is with 'Copy 1') - most probably that's the one I recently installed.
Question: Does my printer really was lost after Windows 10 upgrade? or it's just there and I just have to do something...? Now, that I have re-installed the driver (Brother DCP-J100) and it appeared I have 2, am I going to uninstall it? It doesn't work now, I cannot print, in general, what will I do? Anyone there having the same problem with mine? Microsoft, please help me on this. Life would be too bad when having trouble like this...thanks a lot in anticipation for your prompt response.

MoreJoe

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
After downloading and installing Windows 10 my Brother HL 5370 DW no longer works.
If I get many more "Upgrades" from Microsoft I will be back to the stone age.
I have a vision of product meetings at Microsoft where someone says something like this:
"Hey our word application is running in 93% of the market. Let's change everything?"

Kristin Cloud

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
canon mg3520
Same thing. i am so bummed. I just bought it... swamped with scanning and work.
I can't use it. i'm afraid to download new drivers... can't find mine.. never crossed my mind.
Ok IT people what do I do? anyone? aaagh
New printer... one week old. upgraded. no printer now.
pplease tell me if you have solution anyone

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem have an HP printer that I have used on an HP laptop for years with no problem. Upgraded to Windows 10 and can't get the computer to talk to printer. Error message says the laptop does not have the correct driver for printer. Went to HP site and downloaded the driver for printer and still get that same error message. Have the same problem on my desktop computer. I fixed that by getting rid of Windows 10 and going back to Windows 7. Does anyone have a better solution?

JKH

Sean Next

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
After the upgrade, none of the programs on my computer will recognize any printers, including printing to PDF or OneNote. I've tried reinstalling the printer, and the print driver shows up in my Control Panel list(along with all my other printer driver), but if I try to print from any program, it no longer will recognize I have any printers. Makes things impossible when trying to print necessary items for kids' classes. Any fixes that work?

Tara Hankin

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After upgrading from Windows 7 Home edition to Windows 10 Home edition, I was no longer able to print using my HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z printer. Prior to installing Windows 10, my printer was functioning normally. By taking the steps listed below, I was able to fix the problem and am now able to print successfully again using my HP Officejet 6500 printer. If you are having a similar problem, and also have an HP Officejet 6500 printer, feel free to try the steps below. I hope this helps! If following the below steps do not fix your specific printing issue, then you likely have a different issue than what I encountered.

1. Connect to the HP support site; below is a link.
(support.hp.com)

2. After connecting to the above site, enter the name of your specific printer model (for example, enter "HP Officejet 6500" and you should see a drop-down list of matching printer model names. Select the correct model name from the list.

3. Now, you should see the following items listed on the page:
"Solution and Update Finder"
"Troubleshooting"
"Software and Driver"
etc...

4. Choose "Software and Drivers"

5. Under "Check for Updates and Recommendations", click "Check Now".

6. Install any drivers it recommends.

7. Try printing any test page. If your printer is still not printing, continue to step 8.

8. From the Windows 10 Start Menu, choose 'Settings', then select 'Devices'.

9. Under 'Printers', find the name of your printer, select it, then click 'Remove Device'.

10. Under 'Add Printers or Scanners', click to 'Add a printer or scanner'

11. You should now see the name of your printer, with the text '(Copy 1)' appended to the end of the name.

12. Repeat step 7 (try printing any test page). In my case, at this point, my printer started printing again.

If following steps 1-12 does not solve your specific printing-related issue, then you likely have a different issue.

Ewalum

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I have no solution, but the same problem. My printer worked with hickups after the upgrade of my Surface Pro 2 from W8 to W10. Now it seems to have developed a pneumonia and after several unistalling and reinstalling it finally refused to cooperate. It tells me the drive is unavailable. I am sick and tired of this new Windows. I already lost contact with my external monitor which I imported from the US to use with the Surface, and without it it is difficult to work on multiple documents, considering the size of Surface's screen. And twice the start button (the one with a Windows picture) stopped to react and the laptop froze. I managed to get it back to work once, but on the other occasion I had to ask for a telephone assistance from Microsoft. Downgrading back to W8 was unsuccessful, the W10 was reinstalled, I lost some programmes which I had to reinstall myself. It meant the full working day lost fighting with the machine. I feel cheated having to experiment on a product which was obviously not properly checked before being passed on unsuspecting customers.

Doug Campbell2

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
So fed up with Microsoft and Windows10. Have spent hours trying to reconnect my Canon Pixma printer with new drivers etc. Lost it last week after Windows upgraded with new EXCITING features! Ya sure! Dont know if I should go back to windows 7.....

Tuceified2012

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I also have a PIXMA printer. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. After a reinstall, it will work temporarily. If I shut down and restart, it will lose the printer again. I'm sick of reinstalling the drivers! :devil::devil: Microsoft needs to fix this because it's obviously their problem if we're all going through the same thing!:eck:

Gary Stecker

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Go here: Download Center: Download Software, Firmware, Drivers & Manuals | Samsung. Select: PRINTERS from the list at the bottom part of the screen. Select: Black and White Laser printers from the dropdown. Put in Model number(Tag is on the top of the printer above the power connector). Press: Get Downloads button. On the bottom right of the screen that comes up you will see the download for the Universal print driver. Download it, reboot and you are set to go. I have no idea why this has been made so difficult to find.

Jeesee

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
i came across this forum and watched the video posted in it and was benefited out of it and Tara Hankin thank you for your valuable comment either that was really helpful.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've been able to print. Why? I actually checked the printer maker's web page for an updated driver. Simple.

Blame the maker of the printer not Microsoft (at first).

HinaP

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I did not ask for a windows update it started all by itself and I could not stop it. NOT ONLY DID IT MAKE MY PRINTER UNAVAILABLE IT ALSO made other programs usable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hate windows 10

now how can I get the use of my printer back?????????? Canon MP190

yeah you have to buy the windows 10 program but I don't want it and I cannot even uninstall it and return to my previous 8.1 version as it has also eliminated that choice too !!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa