Why is the battery draining while my laptop is shut down in Windows 10?

Srikiran

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Battery draining while the laptops is shut down in Windows 10

Yes, I too have faced this issue a few times even after disabling the fast boot option. The laptop doesn't shutdown properly. I generally leave my speaker jack to the laptop. After shutting down the laptop, the HDD usage light continues to glow and there is some current passing through the audio jack making a noise through the speakers. I assume that the laptop has not shutdown and it continues to discharge until none is left. This issue has started only after installing Windows 10.

There are a lot of other issues with handling power. Another one such thing is the laptop doesn't respond if left inactive for long durations of time. The screen is turned off and nothing responds, I have to do a forced shutdown ( the system is still running for some reason) by holding down the power button. I had changed the power options to never go to sleep or hibernate when connected to charger, but this still continues to happen. Windows 10 is really testing my patience.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Another one such thing is the laptop doesn't respond if left inactive for long durations of time. The screen is turned off and nothing responds, I have to do a forced shutdown
Exactly the same thing happens with my laptop too. Whenever the laptop goes into sleep mode for too long, it never wakes up until I remove the battery and put it back again and then turn it on.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
This is an issue with the SP2 Pro as well. At least it is with mine and a few other people. It's like it wakes up all the time on it's own and will drain the battery without any use. I have to power it completely off to keep my battery from draining and overheating. This never happened till Windows 10 upgrade.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Because its not shutting down.... My computer is turning off.... I have to choke it to sleep.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm facing a similar issue too. I have Dell Inspiron 7537. I had not had these issues when I was on windows 8/8.1. I thought it might be due to the upgrade so did a clean install of the windows 10 after formatting the primary drive. Even then the issue persists. By shutdown I mean shutting down from the power options in the start menu. Closign the lid or pressing the power button puts it to sleep.

Please share if you are having similar issues. A solution is better. Thanks in advance.

I have the same laptop... The laptop does turn off when you shut it down... The fans keep on running.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
All this talk of sleeping and hibernating. I don't care if its sleeping or hibernating. If someone has their laptop on Sleep with full battery, it shouldn't be totally drained by the next morning unless there is something wrong.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I posted a similar question last week but nobody replied =( My wife's laptop seems to go to sleep or hibernate when you tell it to, but in the middle of the night you can hear it chiming because the battery is low. It turns on for seemingly no reason.

She took it back to Best Buy and the Geek Squad people said that it was probably a virus. Running Windows Defender didn't reveal anything. I think they were trying to give her crap about not paying for the warranty or something. They told her they would need it for 2 days and couldn't promise a resolution. Great.

Denis Radin

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with my surface pro after upgrading to windows 10. I found that changing the keyboard and mouse power settings fixed the issue for me. I disabled the "allow this device to wake this computer" option in the power management setting in device manager.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with my surface pro after upgrading to windows 10. I found that changing the keyboard and mouse power settings fixed the issue for me. I disabled the "allow this device to wake this computer" option in the power management setting in device manager.

I went to device managers and there Keyboard and Mice and other pointing devices, but there is no power options for these two. I could only find the power options for Network adapters, and allow this device to wake this computer is disabled.

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Shut down, by default, doesnt appear to power down the computer. It goes into some sort of fastboot or sleep mode. The same thing happened on my surface pro 2. I go into the power settings and change the behavior of the shut down to actually power off the computer. Now my battery no longer drains while the surface is shut down.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I go into the power settings and change the behavior of the shut down to actually power off the computer. Now my battery no longer drains while the surface is shut down.
Where is that option exactly?? There are options to what the power buttons do, but no such option as you mentioned!

Sergiu Baiatu

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem on a Dell 7537, the battery is holding solid 5 hrs of work, when I shut it down with regular -> Start -> rclick -> shutdown it seems like it's shutting down but in the morning I try to turn it on -> it cannot because it doesn't have enough power even for that.
For me W10 has been a disaster, graphics don't work as expected, this shutdown problem makes my laptop almost unusable. And the worst is that I am afraid that if I try to go back to W8.1 it will break the OS altogether and render my laptop unusable. I will try to roll back today and sure as hell will stay away from W10 for the rest of this lappy's lifetime.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this shudown issue is huge and it makes the laptop useless! However I have got a trick. After shutting down the laptop, remove the battery and then put it back again! You wont see any battery draining when you turn the laptop on the next time. I know this is a temporary solution but I am hoping that MS fixes this problem in their next OS update!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello , I had the same problem on an Inspiron 15 7537, I called Microsoft and they only told me to change the power plan to economy, whihc is stupid I know... than I called Dell and they told me to go back to Windows 8 and that they have not had any report of that problem before...

So what I did was go into dell support website and downloaded/updated my BIOS version. When installing it prompts you that Dell does not recommend flashing a BIOS with the same version... but I just didn't care and continued...

PROBLEM FIXED =) !

This morning my lap had battery!!

Hope is useful for you!

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the problem is with the BIOS. I own a Dell Vostro 3446 laptop and when I try to update the BIOS it refuses to update and says that you cant update to the same version of BIOS. I don't get the option of updating the BIOS as you got! I don't think there is any other solution left than rolling back to Windows 8.1

S_Wilson

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I posted this yesterday but had problems posting. It finally did post but had a double post in the same post if that makes sense. Tried to edit it but deleted it instead by accident. Anyway here is what I had posted that might help you guys out.

There is a post a tomsguide.com, search for "Laptop Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)" and you will find it. Basically the reason windows 10 doesn't completely shut down and drains battery while shut down or hibernated is because of a problem with the 11.x.x.x version of the Intel Management Engine Interface. If you downgrade to 9.x.x.x it will fix it completely. 10.x.x.x might fix it as well but do not know. My Lenovo Y50 did the same exact thing, after a day or 2 the battery would be completely drained while shut down or hibernated. This cured mine and it drains none while shut down or hibernated.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks S_Wilson for posting this! But wont the downgrading of Intel Management Engine affect the working of the PC in any form? Apart from the shutdown issue, my laptop is performing well!

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Problem Solved! It was Intel Management Engine which caused the problem. I would suggest the ones who have this problem to downgrade to Intel Management Engine to version 9.x.x.x Thanks S_Wilson!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium