Why does Windows 10 freeze up seemingly after being idle?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 freezes up seemingly after being idle

I've just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I have an HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC. This happened twice: when I left my laptop and came back after an hour or so, the screen was black (as usually), but the laptop was completely unresponsive. I couldn't wake it up neither by moving/clicking my mouse nor by hitting any key on the keyboard (both external and embedded mice/keyboards). Furthermore, the LED of my laptop on/off h/w switch button was constantly on, instead of blinking.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 freezes up seemingly after being idle

It goes into a sleep state that conserves power, hitting the power button should wake it up. My Surface 3 does the same thing, which sure is annoying at times, but it's to save power.

dimitrif

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site

Unfortunately,even the h/w on/off button doesn't work: the laptop doesn't wake up. The only thing I can do is push the button for over 5 seconds to shut the computer down. :-( I think I'll have to ask HP about this problem... Thanks a lot for your answer anyway.

DF

dimitrif

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site

What the heck, everything used to work just fine just a few hours ago with my windows 8.1! How am I supposed to check all these technical details about bios and drivers? It's clear to me that this is a Windows 10 bug wrt HP laptops. I contacted HP Greece this morning. They told me to deactivate the quick startup feature. In the beginning tt seemed to work, but only temporarily. I'm really pissed off!

In a similar manner, whenever I shut down my laptop, it doesn't actually shut all the way down - the light on the start button stays on and I can still hear the fan working. I have to press the button for over 6-7 seconds to get a complete shut down. :)

A Kosmetatos

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Your not alone bought a Dell XPS 8700 July 29, had 7 pro on it and it worked fine about 4 days later I did an upgrade to 10. It will now freeze up when not being used sometimes I can go for a day with no problems or I have to reboot twice a day, have to hold the power button down to reboot. Waiting to talk to tech service but will probably go back to 7 till they get it fixed.

AK

thekidzkid

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
The fix to this issue for me was to disable the scheduled task for defrag. If you open the Task Scheduler and then select from the tree on the left Task Scheduler Library --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Defrag you can then right-click the ScheduledDefrag task on the right and select Disable. This worked for me. Hopefully it does for you too.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you see 'storahci' entry in the event viewer at the freeze-up time? Check the event viewer at the time of freeze up. Or even after you restart the system. See what event you get at that time.
(If you don't know, Right click the Start Menu Windows icon and select Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative Events.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234