How do I revert back to Windows 7 with a broken Start menu?

Nathaniel Jones3

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm frustrated with Windows 10 and want to switch back to Windows 7. However, my Start menu doesn't work. This proves to be very problematic, because the Settings menu within the Start menu seems to be the only path to reverting back to Windows 7. I've tried a few times to get my start menu back in order to restore Windows 7, but nothing I've tried has worked. Here's what I've tried:

(1) Entering a special command in Windows PowerShell (thanks to Narender Singh on techmesto.com). Didn't work.
(2) Creating a new account with administrator privileges. Start menu works, but I can't use it to revert to Windows 7. I'm prompted to delete all other accounts created after the upgrade before reverting back to Windows 7.
(3) Accessing the Settings menu from within the Control Panel. Settings menu doesn't seem to be accessible from the Control Panel.

Is there a way to go back to Windows 7 without using the Start menu? I would rather not have to go find my original product key for Windows 7 and reinstall it, but if that's the only way, so be it. I am open to suggestions.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If you open the actions menu (the little notification speech bubble in the system tray) that should have an option to go to the settings menu. If not, try booting with your W7 recovery stick/W7 install DVD and see what recovery options you can make use of there. You can restore a system image you've made through that system which would effectively revert you. If you don't have one (wrist slap...) you could try an 'upgrade install' from W10 to W7 via your install disk/stick which would probably work and retain your files.

Of course, you could always clean install W7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss