How do I solve the problem of inaccessible boot device?

Francis Gitonga

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
How do i solve the problem of inaccessible boot device

After resetting my Microsoft windows 10, an error - inaccessible boot device appeared

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I had this happen to me earlier this week. In brief, you have to download windows 8.1 to a minimum sized 16GB usb stick and reset your PC. After the reset you'll be left with a completely new windows 8.1 machine and will have to update to windows 10.

Depending on the country you're in, you'll need to contact the Microsoft helpdesk (livechat is the easiest way to get the issue sorted) and they'' walk you through exactly what you need to do.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT: MAKE SURE THE USB YOU DOWNLOAD THE RECOVER IMAGE TO IS FAT32 FORMATTED. Again, the MS helpdesk folk will talk you through doing this if you're unsure.

Below is my transcript from the MS helpdesk:

john: Hi Triona So a few weeks ago my SP3 received it's auto update to W10, however since then it started to become quite sluggish, the video and camera weren't responding properly, apps were slow to load, email accounts wouldn't sync properly, etc so I decided to initiate a reset in order to refresh the machine and reinstall a Windows 10, however something has gone wrong with the process and now my machine won't boot. It keeps restarting, then a screen pops up saying "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. If you'd like to know more search online for INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_ DEVICE" It then shuts down and tries to restart but just ends up going through the same cycle. I've read on a forum that I'll need to create a recovery USB and reinstall W10 that way. Is this accurate? Where would I download W10 from?

Triona: Hello John, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with this! What we would need to do is get your system up and running. For Surface, we would recommend using a recovery image - however the recovery image is for 8.1 - so you would have to upgrade again from 8.1 to 10 if it was responding

john: That's fine, I don't mind rolling back to 8.1 as long as there's a clear path to update to W10 afterwards :)

Triona: It's quite straightforward, it should be available either in the task bar as an icon again, or after installing Windows updates! By any chance, do you have a 16GB or larger USB stick? You would need to to get the image from here Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

john: 16GB!! Wow, that's a big file....I think the biggest USB I have to hand is 8GB....

Triona: It is a little big alright, would a friend or family member have a suitable size USB that you could borrow from them?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I had this happen to me earlier this week. In brief, you have to download windows 8.1 to a minimum sized 16GB usb stick and reset your PC. After the reset you'll be left with a completely new windows 8.1 machine and will have to update to windows 10.

Depending on the country you're in, you'll need to contact the Microsoft helpdesk (livechat is the easiest way to get the issue sorted) and they'' walk you through exactly what you need to do.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT: MAKE SURE THE USB YOU DOWNLOAD THE RECOVER IMAGE TO IS FAT32 FORMATTED. Again, the MS helpdesk folk will talk you through doing this if you're unsure.

Below is my transcript from the MS helpdesk:

john: Hi Triona So a few weeks ago my SP3 received it's auto update to W10, however since then it started to become quite sluggish, the video and camera weren't responding properly, apps were slow to load, email accounts wouldn't sync properly, etc so I decided to initiate a reset in order to refresh the machine and reinstall a Windows 10, however something has gone wrong with the process and now my machine won't boot. It keeps restarting, then a screen pops up saying "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. If you'd like to know more search online for INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_ DEVICE" It then shuts down and tries to restart but just ends up going through the same cycle. I've read on a forum that I'll need to create a recovery USB and reinstall W10 that way. Is this accurate? Where would I download W10 from?

Triona: Hello John, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with this! What we would need to do is get your system up and running. For Surface, we would recommend using a recovery image - however the recovery image is for 8.1 - so you would have to upgrade again from 8.1 to 10 if it was responding

john: That's fine, I don't mind rolling back to 8.1 as long as there's a clear path to update to W10 afterwards :)

Triona: It's quite straightforward, it should be available either in the task bar as an icon again, or after installing Windows updates! By any chance, do you have a 16GB or larger USB stick? You would need to to get the image from here Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

john: 16GB!! Wow, that's a big file....I think the biggest USB I have to hand is 8GB....

Triona: It is a little big alright, would a friend or family member have a suitable size USB that you could borrow from them?

You know, I've done exactly what you said above and when I boot from the 8.1 USB recovery, it only gives me the option to restore to Windows 10. I've been on the phone with Microsoft about this and it is crazy...they don't know a way around it.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You know, I've done exactly what you said above and when I boot from the 8.1 USB recovery, it only gives me the option to restore to Windows 10. I've been on the phone with Microsoft about this and it is crazy...they don't know a way around it.

That's weird....and really frustrating I would imagine. The windows 10 rollout has not been without it's issues...I downloaded it to my Toshiba laptop...24 hours later the machine totally died. I have to replace the hard drive...thank God 90% of my data was in the cloud.

Can I ask what machine your having these problems on?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That's weird....and really frustrating I would imagine. The windows 10 rollout has not been without it's issues...I downloaded it to my Toshiba laptop...24 hours later the machine totally died. I have to replace the hard drive...thank God 90% of my data was in the cloud.

Can I ask what machine your having these problems on?

Surface Pro 3...I did get Microsoft to Exchange it and they will send it or a refurb back with Windows 10, clean install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo