Why can't I connect to my Mobile Hotspot?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't Connect to Mobile Hotspot

I'm running Windows 10 now and I haven't been able to connect to my Lumia 822 (WP 8.1) using internet sharing. I click on connect on Windows 10, and then it says "Can't setup mobile hotspot". Any ideas?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't Connect to Mobile Hotspot

What wireless adaptor/driver does your Windows 10 PC have? If by chance it is "Intel Centrino Wireless", check the version that you currently have installed - if it is 16.1.1.0, then you need to revert back to an earlier version of the driver, i.e. 14.3.0.6. Some users (with the 16.1.1.0 version) report even worse experiences, such as BSOD as soon as they attempt to connect to a mobile hotspot.

P.S.
I have tried this and it worked with my Windows 7 PC, but not yet in my Windows 10 - Windows 10 may automatically update your driver once it detects that you've installed an earlier not updated version of it. At any rate, let us know what you find.

Other generic things you can try are:
1. create a new profile, e.g. rename your phone sharing name into something else, change the password and then create the new connection profile
2. restart your PC
3. restart your phone

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't Connect to Mobile Hotspot

What wireless adaptor/driver does your Windows 10 PC have? If by chance it is "Intel Centrino Wireless", check the version that you currently have installed - if it is 16.1.1.0, then you need to revert back to an earlier version of the driver, i.e. 14.3.0.6. Some users (with the 16.1.1.0 version) report even worse experiences, such as BSOD as soon as they attempt to connect to a mobile hotspot.

P.S.
I have tried this and it worked with my Windows 7 PC, but not yet in my Windows 10 - Windows 10 may automatically update your driver once it detects that you've installed an earlier not updated version of it. At any rate, let us know what you find.

Other generic things you can try are:
1. create a new profile, e.g. rename your phone sharing name into something else, change the password and then create the new connection profile
2. restart your PC
3. restart your phone

I didn't even think to check the driver. The card is an Intel AC-7260. It says the driver is from February, so apparently it's not a new driver causing the problem. However, I am currently downloading a new driver, so we'll see what that does (if anything).

I already did all of the generic things you said, to no avail. Oh, well...

Thanks for the help!

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I thought it would be helpful to know at least that internet sharing does work on my setup with a Lumia 1020 (WP 8.1/Lumia Denim) and Windows 10 on my Surface 3. Thus it does not seem that the issue is with Windows 10 itself but from something else. I wish I could help with what that "something else" might be.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I thought it would be helpful to know at least that internet sharing does work on my setup with a Lumia 1020 (WP 8.1/Lumia Denim) and Windows 10 on my Surface 3. Thus it does not seem that the issue is with Windows 10 itself but from something else. I wish I could help with what that "something else" might be.

I do appreciate the info. I'll try another phone and see if it works.

Edit: Okay, so I tried another phone and it worked. So I changed the broadcast SSID on my phone and the password this time (I don't think I changed the password before), and now it works. If I followed gpobernardo's advice more accurately then I would've fixed it earlier...haha.

Thanks guys!

GoPiKa AniL NaiR

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
You have only that right. here i cant even on my hotspot as it says that i should turn the wifi on. and even if i turn on i cant get chance to on the hotspot . do u hve any ideas for that too? :/

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo