How can I get rid of libraries under This PC?

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Geting rid of libraries under "This PC"

I finally installed Windows 10. My first reaction is "meh" (which is a big step up from my reaction to Windows 8), and I'm working through the things that annoy me one by one.

I have been trying to hide the default libraries that Windows 10 created that show up under "This PC."

Videos I don't use at all, and I organize my pictures and music elsewhere. I completely deleted the Videos library, but it still shows up under "This PC." I can hide them under "Libraries" and even turn off "Libraries" entirely (which I will when done), but what's under "This PC" doesn't budge.

Has anyone found a way to modify this?

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
is it not in the same location as windows 8 still? ie, explorer options, general tab, [navigation pane]: Show Libraries (tickbox)?

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
That's the Libraries section, not the "This PC" section. Turning off all libraries works the same, but they appear in two places now.

I'd upload a screenshot, but that's not working either; all I can do is select the file.

Lovely, now I have a bunch of duplicate links to "Documents" that I can't seem to remove either.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
fair enough, does it remove them from This Pc, if you right click on any library, and select Don't show in navigation Pane?

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Geting rid of libraries under "This PC"

I didn't notice it so far but you are probably right. How about collapsing "this PC" and pin you HDD?

marlman

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site

Go to View then Navigation Pane and untick where it says show libraries.

Easy!

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

I didn't notice it so far but you are probably right. How about collapsing "this PC" and pin you HDD?

Good workaround. Unfortunately, I use a lot of removeable media. All of those drives no longer show up under the "This PC" view. Which is a good thing... except when you need to access those drives. I think I'll try it for a while and see which is the bigger annoyance. I appreciate the suggestion!

Go to View then Navigation Pane and untick where it says show libraries.

Easy!

No, that's not what I'm talking about. That I can do. It's non-existent libraries -- and ones I don't want to see -- showing up under "This PC"

Screenshot here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AHr2ldxqIgau3lQ&v=3&ithint=photo,JPG

P.S. No, I don't have that many Documents folders -- This PC is duplicating the links from time to time. That's a bug I reported to MS.

Last edited:

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Actually I checked I did the registry tweak on both my Surface and my desktop. On my desktop it keeps coming back after updates but not on my Surface... This is strange

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

At least on my PC, those aren't libraries but the folders in your user profile (which you should have?).

Scott

Mine definitely point to my libraries. My libraries are on a different drive, tho, and not in my user profile. Maybe that's the difference? Just for grins I deleted one from my user profile and it still shows up under "This PC" (pointing to the library).

It sounds like it's just not doable. When people come up with a registry hack, that's usually a bad sign. igorhk's workaround seems to be the best way to minimize the annoyance.

I do wish Microsoft wouldn't come up with these hamfisted "ways you must use your PC!" ideas without leaving a customization option.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Mine definitely point to my libraries. My libraries are on a different drive, tho, and not in my user profile. Maybe that's the difference? Just for grins I deleted one from my user profile and it still shows up under "This PC" (pointing to the library).

If you right click on one of the folders what are the properties especially in regards to type and location. Also you can go to the Location tab and move the location of the folder. Sounds like you moved the folder locations to another drive to me along with your libraries.

Pictures_properties.JPGPictures_properties_location.JPG

Also, when you select it do you see this showing it's a library?

Pictures_library.JPG

Or this showing it's a folder?

Pictures_folder.JPG

Scott

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

Sounds like you moved the folder locations to another drive to me along with your libraries.

Yes, I did. The icons point to the correct library location, except "Videos," which doesn't exist.

Also, when you select it do you see this showing it's a library?

Yes, they are libraries, they are the correct libraries in the correct location. (Again, except videos.)

Is there some method, other than the semi-working registry hack, by which other people are able to remove or customize the items that display under "This PC"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss