Manually setting your location

dronkula

May 16, 2012
Visit site
As my desktop PC (like a lot of I suspect other PC's) doesn't have built in GPS, it means that whenever Windows 10 tries to automatically determine where am I (for example, when I'm looking at the built in map client, or Cortana is finding something nearby) it actually thinks I'm around 70 miles away.

Is there anyone to manually set my actual location more accurately in Windows 10?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You have to manually locate yourself on the map every time. Since a desktop PC is generally in a fixed location, I suggest finding where you are on the map and saving it as a favorite. You'll also want to make sure you save it as one of your places in Cortana.

There is no way to manually set your actual location in Windows 10. Microsoft is smarter than you. If they say you are 70 miles away from where you think you are, then that's where you are.

I actually go into Bing and reset my location manually as a city in Mississippi, but every time I restart my browser or restart my computer, it resets me to Atlanta, Georgia every time. I'm 295 miles away from there. Still, I must be in Atlanta, since Cortana tells me so.

I have a USB Dongle that is a GPS Receiver. If I plug it into my computer, I get an accurate location every time. I shouldn't have to do that. It's a laptop, and I'm not always docked. If I dock on my desk in the office, it accesses the GPS receiver on the USB Hub. If I'm on my dining room table in the same house, I don't have the GPS receiver, and suddenly I've traveled nearly 300 miles in under a minute. :shocked:

All I can say is, I feel your pain. This is something we need to voice to Microsoft via Uservoice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prakik90