Is Windows 10 even worse than linux?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm constantly seeing these hacks to try and get things working.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-fix-missing-notifications-windows-10

This is for if your mail notifications don't show up in settings. Mine don't, but I refuse to run this hack. MS should have fixed this ages ago.

Seriously I've installed many linux distros in my time and I've had way less of these small annoying issues. It seems every other day I have to find a hack to fix something that should be working.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know your situation but I think a lot of issues come from upgrades but a clean install results in a more hassle free OS.

In saying that know there are still some issues even on a clean install.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't know your situation but I think a lot of issues come from upgrades but a clean install results in a more hassle free OS.

Microsoft offers Windows 10 as an upgrade and thats how most users will experience it, expecting everyone to perform clean installs is unrealistic and if that was required for a properly functioning system Microsoft should make that clear. Not everyone is a geek and knows how to do such things.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I actually did a clean install that's the weird part. It still gives me issues like these. I constantly get failures with updates from store. The navigation in the store is horrendous. If I search for something and click show all and then scroll through and click on an app, hitting back brings me back to the first search page where I once again have to hit show all. Just many and many tiny issues that build up over time and really show the maturity of something like Mac OS X even.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I want to better understand why some people have problems with windows 10. Between my brother and I, we have three devices on Windows 10:

- Five year old Xeon workstation that had a fairly recent install of Windows 7 Pro.
- A home built vista machine that we had freshly installed windows 8 pro on.
- Surface Pro 3 that was only a couple weeks old.

I guess in all three cases, we upgraded with clean machines, despite being older hardware on the two desktops. No problems at all. Windows 10 seems to love older machines.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My aspire 5755G with sandy bridge i7 also run it. Doesn't have too much issues

Except start menu sometimes broke. Need reboot to fix it.

No other issues other than it

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I want to better understand why some people have problems with windows 10. Between my brother and I, we have three devices on Windows 10:

- Five year old Xeon workstation that had a fairly recent install of Windows 7 Pro.
- A home built vista machine that we had freshly installed windows 8 pro on.
- Surface Pro 3 that was only a couple weeks old.

I guess in all three cases, we upgraded with clean machines, despite being older hardware on the two desktops. No problems at all. Windows 10 seems to love older machines.

Yah on my brothers samsung laptop he gets mail notifications and all that. It's very random may depend on the registry state before install. I can't believe they still use that to begin with. But yah my rig was purely for gaming and had nothing much installed on it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My aspire 5755G with sandy bridge i7 also run it. Doesn't have too much issues

Except start menu sometimes broke. Need reboot to fix it.

No other issues other than it

Yah but that shouldn't happen. It happens on mine too where I can't get the start menu to open up at all. Nothing seems to work other than restarting.

I've come across issues where I couldn't scroll my start menu at all.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft offers Windows 10 as an upgrade and thats how most users will experience it, expecting everyone to perform clean installs is unrealistic and if that was required for a properly functioning system Microsoft should make that clear. Not everyone is a geek and knows how to do such things.

I wasn't offering that as an excuse, just an observation.

It would be a difficult situation for MS, upgrading machines in unknown states, where applications & users have modified the registry, file & folder permissions, installed OS extensions, etc. But at the same time the general consumer expects an upgrade rather than a clean install so they have to offer it. Again, not an excuse but I can understand that they might be in a difficult position.

To me it feels like Windows 10 could have used another month of testing and bug fixing before release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720