What will it take to get apps/developer attention?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Win10 is probably close to on/over 100 million devices now. It's growing at an exponential rate... Yet it still seems as if devs are giving it a passing glance and are by no means jumping to announce their support of the "universal app" platform. Facebook is a good example....where are they on Win10 app support???

I don't understand how/why these devs interest is so tepid? What the hell else do they need??? Win10 is exploding and they're still to busy wondering it it's worth their time. Why???

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Because they feel they can get away not bothering. A desktop user has a web browser. They have a website. Are people shouting out for an app? Nope, so why bother.

If users start making a noise perhaps they'll listen.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Because they feel they can get away not bothering. A desktop user has a web browser. They have a website. Are people shouting out for an app? Nope, so why bother.

If users start making a noise perhaps they'll listen.

What about games though? I see a huge opportunity there for devs with universal apps. Think those idiots at Supercell can imagine Clash Of Clans running on phone, PC, tablet, and Xbox? Seems like they're very closed minded to keep it on IOS / Android

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ There are already a ton of games available on the PC. Just install steam and you can play your life away. That's the most mature games market there is with lots of competition. Also, if you develop for Win32 rather than for the UAP, a developer has the entire PC market as a potential customer, whereas apps targeting UAP have maybe something like 5% right now. That's still a lot, by why limit yourself? No businessman would willingly limit themselves. PCs also suffer from hardware fragmentation more than any other platform except maybe Android, making it costly to provide a consistent user experience on all devices.

To sum up:
- there is no incentive to provide apps for things most PCs would do with a browser.
- there is no incentive to provide games beyond the more casual type built specifically for touch devices, and those touch devices still need more market share before developers feel enticed.

The idea that we could get developers to come to the platform first has always been flawed, from the very start. That's why I've always said MS needs to provide something that will convince users to come to the platform first. Only then will developers follow.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What about games though? I see a huge opportunity there for devs with universal apps. Think those idiots at Supercell can imagine Clash Of Clans running on phone, PC, tablet, and Xbox? Seems like they're very closed minded to keep it on IOS / Android

I think games will actually help push the store. As will being able to distribute Win32 apps via the store.

The real issue is number of devices running Windows 10. If I write an app today, a browser or Win32 app will run on ALL PCs. If I write a Universal App it will run on say 2% of them (I'm including offline PCs and this is a true % guess as many PCs exist that are stuck in places we don't realize.. ATMs, corners in industrial plants etc.)

Moving everyone to Windows 10 is critical to the Universal App concept working. And that will take time even when free.

Microsoft say it will be free for a year but that is just another reason for a another big push in 12 months. I'd put money on the fact that it will still be 'free' to upgrade even after that as they really do want everyone on the universal platform to make it viable.

In a year when we maybe have > 50% daily PCs running Windows 10 if they're lucky, then it will become a more attractive platform.

In the meantime they also need to work on Store reliability. I often respond to the 'help questions' people post about here and the #1 issue is with Store corruption. People either change permissions or the app licenses get corrupted, people delete things, move folders, take ownership etc. Microsoft need to make the Store ultra robust. User safe. Self healing or self-protected.

I think a Store is a good thing for every platform to have. I like a single delivery mechanism for Universal and Win32 apps. The ideas are right, but it takes time to build momentum.

Ask the same question in a year.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I still don't quite understand it. If you figure the total marketshare of Windows 8 + Windows 10 and Windows Phones - seems like there's plenty sizable market to develop for. Just seems like we've all been fed the same line of BS about "market share" so often that we're reciting their lame chant reinforcing it for the world.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 had a great start, but It's slowing down. At the current rate It won't reach 30% of adoption the first year. Although, It's too early to know if UAP is going to work or not.

I think ad blockers could motivate some developers to try Windows apps. Microsoft should enable an ad blocker by default in Edge.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 had a great start, but It's slowing down. At the current rate It won't reach 30% of adoption the first year. Although, It's too early to know if UAP is going to work or not.

I think ad blockers could motivate some developers to try Windows apps. Microsoft should enable an ad blocker by default in Edge.

How fast does it need to go? They hit 100 million in just over a month.... So if they maintain that pace they will achieve a billion easy in 3 years

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
How fast does it need to go? They hit 100 million in just over a month.... So if they maintain that pace they will achieve a billion easy in 3 years

The growth rate has been falling every week since launch. At the growth rate of the last week Windows 10 won't reach 25% of share the first year. (according to statcounter web traffic data).

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The growth rate has been falling every week since launch. At the growth rate of the last week Windows 10 won't reach 25% of share the first year. (according to statcounter web traffic data).

But that wasn't their stated goal. Their stated goal was 1 billion devices in 3 years

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte