Is anyone else having issues with squealing noise during W10 install?

JW Harris

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Thought it might have been a sound card issue, but I plugged in headphones and the squealing remained. Is this normal? This is not a slight noise, it sounds like a smoke alarm going off.

Last edited:

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Depends how loud it is. Believe it or not, most SSDs make a faint squealing noise when there's a lot of disk activity. I cannot imagine the mechanism by which solid-state surface-mount electronic components can make a noise, but they do. Installing an OS involves LOTS of disk activity, so my bet is that it's from the SSD, and is benign.

Also, some switched mode power supplies (i.e. the ones we use in our PCs) can make a squealing noise depending on the exact load placed upon them.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Ah hah! I've had a brainwave: it's your CPU fan.

As far as I know, it's the only component capable of making such a row (apart from through the speakers, obviously). My guess is that when the processor is having to work harder than normal (which it does during the W10 upgrade), the fan is kicking in (or speeding up).

Squealing fans are very common - the cheaper ones use plain bush bearings. When they dry out they squeal.

My best guess, anyway! :smile:

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
My crappy Lenovo laptop has done that on occasional builds. No idea what causes it, so loud it can wake the dead. It is not a fan. The install gets stuck when it happens and I got bad sectors after having to just shut the laptop down.... heating issue perhaps?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12