Windows 10 mail app with Gmail - Archive does not work

world-in-union

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
When I click "archive" in my Gmail account in the Windows 10 mail app, nothing happens. It says "archived" at the bottom of the email list, but other than that I cannot see any action taken. The email in question stays in the message pane and does not vanish. Is there any setting that I am missing where I can tell the Windows 10 mail app what should happen when I click "archive" in the Gmail account?

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I've just noticed something similar in the Mobile version of the mail app (on Windows Phone) - in this, swiping to archive removes the mail from the view in the app, but when I go to Gmail on the web, the mails that I'd "archived" are still there.

I seem to recall in the old days, "delete" in Windows Phone actually archived the mails in Gmail (there was some way to set this on the Gmail side). Maybe we need to "delete" and not archive after all.
[Update - maybe not; deleting on my phone really does seem to delete in Gmail...]

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Scratch all this, it looks like archiving on the phone does "kinda" work. i.e. if I archive one item and then do a sync, it has been archived on the website. Somehow, though, some archive operations are getting lost.

In any case - clearly not the same issue you're having in the desktop app, so I'll disappear back under a rock.

Didanix

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm also seeing this.

In my case, my regular Gmail account works fine with Windows's Mail app, but my company Gmail account (using a custom domain etc.) doesn't work.

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem in all my W10 PCs and the mobile insider. Mail app's Archive has never done anything, but it always shows the "Archived" at the bottom. The reason I use Metromail is because I NEED the archiving function, without it the mail app is mostly useless to me, even though it has nice new features.
Has anyone figured out what is going on?

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
this guy has the opposite problem: the archive button works, but he doesn't know where the message goes to.
in my case, clickin Archive does absolutely nothing. the message is still in the same folder and view, in the app and in Gmail web interface.

stefalopod

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
There are two place where archive settings for Gmail in mail app can be affected and both have to be configured properly to get the correct behavior:
1) in Gmail, gear icon> Settings> Forwarding and POP/IMAP, make sure "enable IMPA is selected." Mail will still work even if this is not selected, but it needs to be selected to get more options for how to handle archiving/deleting. Check your settings to make sure deleting will handle your e-mails how you want.
2) In Mail app for Windows 10, tap gear icon ( for windows phone tap "...")> Settings> Quick Actions
NOTE: my phone has a bug where "apply to all accounts" toggle does nothing. Manage settings for each e-mail account individually.
Select e-mail account, and chose to use swipe right or swipe left to archive e-mails.
I have mine set up to archive when I swipe left and flag when I swipe right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon