Has anyone used the Ring (video doorbell) Windows 10 app yet?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I searched but didn't find any threads about this here. Ring has released a Windows 10 app for their Ring doorbell.

http://ring.com

I've been interested in getting one, but haven't since they didn't support Windows or Windows Phone. But now Ring has a Windows 10 app, and it looks like it's universal since I was also able to download it on my 925 running W10M preview. Can't try it out though since I don't have one, but maybe I've got a project for the weekend. Has anyone here tried the Win10 apps?

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have Ring doorbell, but dont know of any Win 10 app. I have windows 8.1 phone, but Ring doesnt work on it I use it on my iPad. You can now see your cloud storage of rings or motion sensor recordings via web browser. But you can not answer bell or talk to folks at door via Win 10 that I know of.

Have asked them to do such, be able to put it as a tab on Firefox or other browser. But would likely need to be a wired bell as the camera would be on most of time and drain battery in bell if you dont have a wired bell

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Ring just recently (sometime in the last week or two) released their Windows 10 app. In fact, Windows Central did cover it in yesterday's "5 Intriguing Apps...." article. If you've got Windows 10, search in the store for "Ring Video Doorbell" and it'll come up.

It also shows up on the Windows 10 Mobile preview build store and it runs on my phone to the point where it asks for a login. It may be fully functional; I just haven't gone further since I don't have a doorbell or an account. (It's not on Windows Phone 8.x, though. I assume they're doing a Win10 universal app.)

I almost picked one up today, but I decided to wait until the phone situation is clearer since that'll be more useful, particularly for my wife, than having it on a tablet. Unless they're going to release an app for WP8.x, I'll probably wait until either Windows 10 is released or at least if a preview build come out that's good enough to put on my wife's phone before getting one of them. (I can live with the current W10M build as a daily driver, but I don't think she'd be happy with it.)

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oops, yes there is a Win 10 app in the store, just downloaded and signed in. will wait for someone to ring, see how it works. They are working on a WinPhone 10 app.

Im part of their early Explorer program and should be getting more info early. Been out of loop for while building new machine, just got it up going.

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Im a bit disabled and dont move too fast, but I was going to do that next time by. Thats why I have this type stuff, to go with my Zwave deadbolt lock that I can lock-unlock via phone or desktop. Its pretty slick.

Oh, they are also working on a Win phone app that will tie all together when WinPhone 10 comes out. Universal apps will run on both, going to be game changer. And the new Continuum device will allow phone to be a PC, can hook mouse , keyboard etc to phone to put on big screen etc.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Cool! Thanks for the update. I think this will be a Christmas purchase for sure, if I don't break down and buy it before then.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I just installed it yesterday and it's very well done. I've got it on a Galaxy S6 and a Lumia 1020 and the Windows version is faster and appears to be better designed IMO.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I just installed it yesterday and it's very well done. I've got it on a Galaxy S6 and a Lumia 1020 and the Windows version is faster and appears to be better designed IMO.

I broke down and bought a Ring yesterday; just installed it this afternoon. It works really well on my 925 also. Go universal apps! I'm currently installing Win10 on a 635 I picked up a while back to be a preview test deviice. (Flashed it back to 8.1 after problems running earlier previews.) Once that's done I'll be interested to see how it works on a 512MB phone.

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys running WinPhone 10 on the phones? Canr run new stuff yet as still on 8.1 phone on Lumia 920. Waiting for update to 10 when comes out. Do you just download the 10 app from store?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You guys running WinPhone 10 on the phones? Canr run new stuff yet as still on 8.1 phone on Lumia 920. Waiting for update to 10 when comes out. Do you just download the 10 app from store?

Yes, running the insider preview now. To do that you can download the "Windows Insider" app from the store, register, and then your phone should update. That said, while the latest build (10572) has been good for me on a couple of different phones (my Lumia 925 and a 635 I'm using for testing), I'd be really cautious about using the previews unless you're comfortable with things potentially breaking, and needing to flash back to 8.1 if necessary. Even if things are working OK for you, you can get into situations like the last two builds had that update bug where the preview version couldn't update directly to the latest build, and to move to the next build it was necessary to go back to 8.1 first. That's hopefully going to be fixed in the next update, but with pre-release software, you never know what the next update may bring. Personally, I think it's a good idea to have access to a spare phone if you want to run the Win10 previews where you can either run the preview on the spare phone or, if you run it on your primary phone, you have a backup you can switch to if things go bad.

EDIT: I woke up this morning and realized I might have completely misunderstood your question. If you were asking whether once you have Win10 Mobile, can you just download the Ring app from the store, or do you need something like a 'beta' link to access the app, it's the former. The Ring app is currently available in the mobile store like any other app.

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So I just got a ring video doorbell and the app on my phone is awful (Lumia 950 XL). I was unable to setup the device, had to use my Surface, and the phone app constantly crashes on the app splash screen. I submitted a support request via the Ring website, hopefully they are working on these issues. Worried I may be in the minority though if all of you have the app working on your devices.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I just got a ring video doorbell and the app on my phone is awful (Lumia 950 XL). I was unable to setup the device, had to use my Surface, and the phone app constantly crashes on the app splash screen. I submitted a support request via the Ring website, hopefully they are working on these issues. Worried I may be in the minority though if all of you have the app working on your devices.

I have same issue. Mine worked fine but then started hanging and crashing on startup. I uninstalled and now I can't get it past the splash screen, even after reboot. It may have coincided with the latest insider build upgrades, but I think my wife's 950 on the same build is fine. I'll double-check.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have same issue. Mine worked fine but then started hanging and crashing on startup. I uninstalled and now I can't get it past the splash screen, even after reboot. It may have coincided with the latest insider build upgrades, but I think my wife's 950 on the same build is fine. I'll double-check.
What is your display scaling set to? I noticed that if you decrease the scaling % the app seems to crash more frequently (almost always) and takes longer to open when it does work. At the default scaling % it works almost every time. I submitted that in a review on the store and sent an e-mail to their support e-mail with my findings.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What is your display scaling set to? I noticed that if you decrease the scaling % the app seems to crash more frequently (almost always) and takes longer to open when it does work. At the default scaling % it works almost every time. I submitted that in a review on the store and sent an e-mail to their support e-mail with my findings.

I don't think I've changed mine from the default, but I'll double-check. I remember testing it out awhile back but thought I set it back. Incidentally it still doesn't work, even a few builds later. I have no idea what to do next. I've tried installing it to phone or SD, nothing works. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky