Upgraded to Windows 10--what if I factory reset my computer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I've upgraded my HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j023cl Notebook to Windows 10 but I now want to sell it. Will it revert back to Windows 8/8.1?

Is there a way to whipe it clean and keep Windows 10?

Thank you.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, your device will most likely revert back to W8.x since this is the operating system on your recovery partition.

There is a relatively easy way to have your hard drive wiped out and install Windows 10 only, however, it requires a little bit of preparation. First, you need to make sure that you have original recovery media, so, that you can revert back to factory state in case something goes wrong.

1. Make sure that you back up all of your personal files.
  2. Revert your computer back to factory state.
  3. Set up the computer once more for you and create factory recovery disks.

Go to your manufacturer's website and download all drivers or at least the network drivers. You may need them.

Next, you'll need a flash drive or DVD to create yourself a Windows 10 Installation media. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website. Make sure that you select the proper version that corresponds with your hardware (32bit / 64bit). Make sure you download the exact same version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer, otherwise, you won't be able to activate it later.

Once done, boot up your computer from the USB stick or DVD (depending on what kind of media you created). You may have to check the HP support section on how to boot from USB or DVD.

Once you figured out the above and you successfully booted into the Windows 10 Installer, follow the on screen instructions. Do not select UPGRADE but perform a CUSTOM installation:

w10_install_01.jpg

Whenever you get prompted to insert your Windows 10 product key, use the SKIP option and don't enter a code. You don't need it because your computer will automatically activate once it gets an online connection.

You will get a screen with all the partitions on your computer. Here you need to click on DRIVE OPTIONS (ADVANCED) at the bottom right, so, that you can highlight every single partition and delete it. The screenshot below may differ from what will be shown on your computer. Also, the below picture is after you clicked on DRIVE OPTIONS:

w10_install_02.jpg

Select every single partition and delete it until you have no partition left anymore but only empty space. Once there, click the NEXT button at the bottom right and let the Windows 10 installer do its magic.

When the installation is done and you sign into Windows 10 for the first time, your screen resolution may be screwed up and sound + network may not be working. Make sure you have an internet connection. If not, install the network drivers which you hopefully downloaded. After that, check for Microsoft updates. It should find most of the drivers for your computer.

Now you have a clean installation of Windows 10 and whenever you reset your computer, it will go to a clean install of Windows 10.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Only of u have not got Win10 for more than a month..
No, that's not true if you use the HP built-in recovery method in order to restore your system to factory default. This original factory image will remain even after the Windows 10 upgrade and using the assigned method on startup will restore it. That's why I keep installing a clean version of Windows on any computer that I bought in a store; I don't need hidden manufacturer partitions with a recovery image that is already outdated (and full of bloatware) the moment I buy the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Korshun