Microsoft Project Astoria

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to know how the public feels about "Project Astoria". This post is in the Windows 10 section because it affects all Windows products being that it's supported by the universal app theory. If you do not know what Project Astoria is, it's basically a tool that helps developers port apps from Android devices without the hassle of rewriting the entire project. Actually, there are several apps in the app store that were already ported by using said tool with Candy Crush being the biggest one. As of now Project Astoria has been stopped for unknown reasons but I believe we should all contribute by directing our opinions towards Microsoft because it not only helps the app store but it helps the developers as well. While talking that into consideration we also have to look at the negative features it could bring such as security risk, malicious clones and or problems with third party developers. I for one support the project fully but I am also aware of the security flaws Android apps present and how it could affect our app store based on how often the store is monitored and what apps are deemed as "safe" to upload to the Windows Store.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I actually thought candy crush was ported from IOS to windows phone someone correct me if I am wrong and my bad in advance if I am hehe.. Myself I would prefer ported apps from iOS as from what I understand and what i have read on wc the project to use android apps involved emulating android on windows phone which degraded phone performance as a whole.. There are just as many apps on iOS as android.. Why worry of android, the concern is getting the apps, bottom line and if iOS apps can be ported without a performance hit, well I'm for porting iOS apps..

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Candy Crush was from iOS.

I think its a horrible idea for a few reasons.

1. Blackberry 10, been there, tried that. Didn't even get to use the two apps I miss the most. Snapchat and Yik Yak because Google Play Services.

2. Google Play Services means no Snapchat, etc.

3. Ecosystem is damaged in the long run.

4. OS/2 and Windows compatibility? Worth looking into.

5. Performance, stability.

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think performance would be an issue being that any Windows 10 Mobile device can already run Android apps without any type of lag. I've actually tried it. IOS apps would work fine but Android apps have a bit more freedom and works with the OS more than IOS apps do.

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Candy Crush was from iOS.

I think its a horrible idea for a few reasons.

1. Blackberry 10, been there, tried that. Didn't even get to use the two apps I miss the most. Snapchat and Yik Yak because Google Play Services.

2. Google Play Services means no Snapchat, etc.

3. Ecosystem is damaged in the long run.

4. OS/2 and Windows compatibility? Worth looking into.

5. Performance, stability.

Performance and stability would be fine seeing how Android apps are already on Windows 10 Mobile phones with the exception of a few requiring Google Play Services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raansu