Are people happy with performance?

dermbrian

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Reposting this to Windows 10 forum now that I re-found my login info....

Every computer that I've upgraded to Windows 10 is now very sluggish. For example, if I try to type anything in the Cortana search field, I have to wait several seconds for the cursor to actually be ready for accepting a letter. If I refresh Facebook, it takes 10-15 seconds for the screen to repaint everything. If I try to open a directory in Windows Explorer, the green bar slowly goes across the top and eventually the directory will appear. In the case of directories like "Pictures" or "Downloads", this is an extremely long process. My computers include an MSI All-In-One that is my primary PC in the living room, and a Asics Switch 10 Tablet/Keyboard combo. Both were nowhere near as sluggish in everyday operation under Windows 8 as they are now. Verizon FIOS internet, and, over the course of time, two different routers.

I see a lot of posts about specific issues here, but how is your performance? What does it take to make a Windows 10 computer run well? Are other people experiencing degradation of performance over time?

Brian

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded 4 of my personal computers to Windows 10. Here's a rundown of what they are and my experiences:

1. HP Desktop - this is a low end model. It is running fine, no issues. I upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It runs W10 at about the same speed as W7. I haven't experienced issues with drivers or anything. So far so good!

2. HP Laptop - this is a 2009 model that my wife uses. It has an i3 CPU with 4GB RAM. I upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8 back when Microsoft offered the upgrade for as low as $15. I installed Windows 10 when it was released. It was fine at first, but sometime in December it evidently got an update that killed the Internet connection, both WiFi and ethernet. I did a system restore, and the connection worked again. It must have eventually installed the updates automatically, because it later quit working. I did a system refresh, and it worked. A day or two later it quit again.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do, but since it's so old anyway I don't think I'm going to mess with it much longer. I would have to use a workaround to stop updates from installing. I'll probably junk it and get my wife a new one. She barely ever uses it anymore since she got a Chromebook, but there are still one or two things she does with it that a Chromebook won't do very well.

3. HP Laptop - this one is also older. I bought it new in 2011. I also upgraded this one from W7 to W8 when I could get the upgrade for $15. I installed Windows 10 when it was released, but the WiFi worked intermittently. It seemed to be the same issue that many users had. I reverted to Windows 8.1, and that's where it still is. Because of its age, I probably never will reinstall W10 on it.

4. Macbook - I installed Windows 10 using Bootcamp. It works perfectly; no issues. It is very fast! However, it has an i7 CPU, a 512GB SSD, and 16GB RAM. Nothing can stop this beast!

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Every computer that I've upgraded to Windows 10 is now very sluggish. For example, if I try to type anything in the Cortana search field, I have to wait several seconds for the cursor to actually be ready for accepting a letter. If I refresh Facebook, it takes 10-15 seconds for the screen to repaint everything. If I try to open a directory in Windows Explorer, the green bar slowly goes across the top and eventually the directory will appear.
Brian

Crikey, Brian, maybe you should get someone else to upgrade those PCs for you! :grin:

Seriously, if W10 were that bad it would never make it out of alpha testing, never mind into production. To answer your question directly, the two machines I've upgraded (a hybrid and a desktop) both felt exactly the same as they did running W8.1 in terms of the subjective performance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoresAdrowe