Where is my music gone after upgrading to Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

where is my music gone after upgrading to windows 10?

I had music files on my laptop which was running windows 7, but when I upgraded to windows 10 I can no longer find them and the available space is not now large enough to put the music back from an external drive, which leads me to think that these files are still somewhere on my hard drive.

shadow_wings20

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: where is my music gone after upgrading to windows 10?

Im also having this problem. i had W7, but i wanted to keep up with my classes and software so i upgraded to 8.1. however upgrading to W8.1 made me loose alot of software like my microsoft office, Adobe, Itunes etc. this was fusterating but i still had all my files, like my documents, music files, photos etc. but the biggest problem came when the upgrade also deleted my antivirus and malware software, so accessing the internet only gave me the worst spam and viruses ive ever had to deal with. it casued so much problems that my only option after faild attempts of removing them was to reboot my laptop and start over. i saved all my data to a external hard drive using the new file history that came with W8.1. it was new so i doubled verified i was doing the correct thing to make sure i was going to have all my data afterwards. once i restarted my W8.1 i also had the oportunity to download W10 for free. said it would take much to move over to the new software, but as it so happens, i now cant access any of my music files or documents. ive searched over every forum on here about information reguarding this issue that so many others like me have had. ive tried every trick, every example, every sugestion, anything anyone has said to recover lost data, like my music, and all i get is " you dont have premission to access". at this point i feel hopeless, years of documents and music i have had over 12 years just out of my reach and i cant do a damn thing. if anyone could shed some light and actually help me solve this, i would kiss you.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Im also having this problem. i had W7, but i wanted to keep up with my classes and software so i upgraded to 8.1. however upgrading to W8.1 made me loose alot of software like my microsoft office, Adobe, Itunes etc. this was fusterating but i still had all my files, like my documents, music files, photos etc. but the biggest problem came when the upgrade also deleted my antivirus and malware software, so accessing the internet only gave me the worst spam and viruses ive ever had to deal with. it casued so much problems that my only option after faild attempts of removing them was to reboot my laptop and start over. i saved all my data to a external hard drive using the new file history that came with W8.1. it was new so i doubled verified i was doing the correct thing to make sure i was going to have all my data afterwards. once i restarted my W8.1 i also had the oportunity to download W10 for free. said it would take much to move over to the new software, but as it so happens, i now cant access any of my music files or documents. ive searched over every forum on here about information reguarding this issue that so many others like me have had. ive tried every trick, every example, every sugestion, anything anyone has said to recover lost data, like my music, and all i get is " you dont have premission to access". at this point i feel hopeless, years of documents and music i have had over 12 years just out of my reach and i cant do a damn thing. if anyone could shed some light and actually help me solve this, i would kiss you.

Sorry but you only have yourself to blame. BACKUP. What would you have done if the drive failed?

shadow_wings20

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

i did back up.... the files are still on my external hard drive. it says i dont have premission to accesss them. how is this my fault? becasue i decided to upgrade to windows 8.1 or 10? no one should have this kind of problem when upgrading soft ware that everyone seems to hold so high in value when it comes to the latest and greatest tech. ive been backingup my files for years and never had a problem untill W8.1 came out. the fault is with Microsoft not me. i am seeking advice to help solve a problem i did not create, not recieve judgement and unusefull advice.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you have a virus problem that may have caused your files to be gone. Even if you don't have third party antivirus software, that doesn't mean you will be automatically infected so it may already have been there. Take your laptop to a shop and have them look at it.

shadow_wings20

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

hum maybe but i dont think so. i never had a virus problem before i updated. i had trend micro or something like that on my laptop that i have had for many years, it got deleted with the upgrade. and after a few times using the new software i started having problems. then they only got wrose as time went on. once i restarted my laptop and reinstalled W8.1 i reinstalled an anti virus before getting online. never had a problem with viruses after that, but nowi face having no access to my files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap