Windows 10 is supposed to be free?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
windows 10 is supposed to be free? its asking for a prod key

I had to reformat my pc due to a bug caused by a win 10 preview. I did not realize my pc was Vista, so I've been slowly upgrading my pc from one version to the other.

I luckily found my windows 7 disc. I needed it to get windows 10 for free.
After downloading through the website and stating that you can upgrade PC's with windows 7 through windows 8.1, it blocked me asking for a product key.

I dont remember microsoft giving me a product key a couple months back when win 10 was released. What do I do from here?

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: windows 10 is supposed to be free? its asking for a prod key

If your product key for windows 7 is genuine and activated you should not need a windows 10 key to upgrade.. Time to call Microsoft..

saurabh7890

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site

Download windows 10 .iso file (1511) from Microsoft Windows official site. The .iso file contains both pro and home versions. Install the version as per your windows 7 product key (windows 10 home for windows 7 home basic and windows 10 pro for windows 7 ultimate..........u can get this information from that download page also.)

So if you install the correct version as per your win 7 key it will be activated easily.

REMEMBER-
1. download the latest .iso file from official site only.
2. Install the correct version home or pro as per your win 7 key.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I believe you can skip this step, and in doing so Microsoft will look up your account find your registered win 7 and add win 10 code to it. or it will tell you that you have an illegal version, and you have to buy the code.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I believe you can skip this step, and in doing so Microsoft will look up your account find your registered win 7 and add win 10 code to it. or it will tell you that you have an illegal version, and you have to buy the code.

The thing is, if you guys remember the time Vista was such a mess; OEM's decided to mail these discs to people who purchased their computers. This was the time "downloading the OS" was a thing. My windows 7 disc didn't have a product key, it was from Vista to Win 7 that gave me the option to skip that portion.

But when I downloaded win 10 .. the Win 10 setup is aksing for a product key. I'm going to see if I can download the ISO that Saurabh mentioned. If not, I may have to call microsoft, just gotta find their #.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I think you may be stuck, I had a similar issue, Microsoft were willing to help remotely, but they needed me to take a picture of the sticker with the Win7 product key on it so they could then view the actual sticker on the PC. The MS tech then checked everything was in order, activated Win10 and provided me with a text file on my desktop containing the Win10 product key in case I need to re-install in the future.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

What I don't understand is why they would give it for free only to win 7-8.1 users AND have to have product key? are they hoping to cash in on uninformed consumers?

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Open your Microsoft account and look at what registered products you have listed.
under your computer it will show what windows it has. if its vista you out of luck.
My hard drive went bad and I replaced it with a ssd drive and downloaded win 10 to a flash drive, I installed my hard drive plug in the f-drive it loaded win 10 on the drive.
when it asked for the code, I skip it, and when it sign in, windows look up my computer saw I had 8.1 pro , and gave me win 10 Pro. no code needed.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

The whole thing is a mess really, it was much better the way it worked before. Because of what happened to me, I have an actual product key, but what happens to those who set up their PC with a regular user account and not a Microsoft account. If they have no key and no Microsoft account, they're screwed if they ever need to re-install after a disaster.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

After talking to a microsoft rep via chat online, we managed to figure out why, so I'm posting this to keep as a record for those who will fall into the same trap.

I had the windows 7 Ultimate product key with me all along, it was on 32-bit disc. I popped in 64-bit disc and the key wasn't on the disc envelope.

After that, just register it by going through control panel or whatever.
(although the rep took control of my pc and went to Run -> "SLUI 4" or something and wrote down bunch of numbers to call, which I assume the bitlocker)

I redownloaded windows 10, and it no longer asked for product key. Everything is installing now.

I also wont participate in developer fast update anymore. it ****ed up my pc and lost my adobe suite, office apps, and steam games. its a ***** re-installing programs and games that are 50+ gigs.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokul Dm