Are Windows updates shoved down users throats?

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree its in an effort to provide unified experience to all users. But Im living in a place where superfast internet speeds are not affordable. Im having a broadband connection though maxs out at 60kBps. An option to pause or even cancel the update would be fine so that i could use my card for payment. Currently the update is clogging my band width and everytime i tries to pay the server times out. currently its downloading windows 10 pro version 1511, 1586. I tried setting connection as metered.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you have Windows 10 Pro, so you can in fact control when to download updates via group policy. Home users have no choice but to use the troubleshooter tool (without resorting to hacks which I would never recommend as people would do more damage than good).

Follow the steps in order

1) Press Winkey+S
2) Type in group policy
3) Press enter to edit group policy
4) Go to Administrative Templates on the left hand side under computer configuration
5) Windows Components on the right hand side panel
6) Scroll all the way down to windows update
7) Click on Configure Automatic Updates
8) Choose enabled (2nd option)
9) Under "Configure automatic updating" choose "notify for download and notify for install".
10) leave "install during automatic maintenance" unticked
11) Click okay, and restart.
12) Go to settings and it should say some settings are managed by your organisation. If not then it will come into play the next time it checks for updates.

The forced updates are to ensure everyone is on a level playing field, for years some people never had updated computers, some had some patches applied, some all but in the end the vulnerable PC's were used as p2p nodes for spreading malware.

Furthermore by ensuring a level playing field, Microsoft can proceed with their OneCore - this only works when all components are jelled together for a nice, cohesive experience.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
There's an option right in the updates settings under advanced settings which lets you defer upgrades. This will stop the big ones but will still do security updates so that you're safe.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. :) setting metered worked after few restarts and when i actually tried to update by not setting as metered the update failed many times. Finally yesterday i had my build. Looks fine.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you have Windows 10 Pro, so you can in fact control when to download updates via group policy. Home users have no choice but to use the troubleshooter tool (without resorting to hacks which I would never recommend as people would do more damage than good).

Follow the steps in order

1) Press Winkey+S
2) Type in group policy
3) Press enter to edit group policy
4) Go to Administrative Templates on the left hand side under computer configuration
5) Windows Components on the right hand side panel
6) Scroll all the way down to windows update
7) Click on Configure Automatic Updates
8) Choose enabled (2nd option)
9) Under "Configure automatic updating" choose "notify for download and notify for install".
10) leave "install during automatic maintenance" unticked
11) Click okay, and restart.
12) Go to settings and it should say some settings are managed by your organisation. If not then it will come into play the next time it checks for updates.

The forced updates are to ensure everyone is on a level playing field, for years some people never had updated computers, some had some patches applied, some all but in the end the vulnerable PC's were used as p2p nodes for spreading malware.

Furthermore by ensuring a level playing field, Microsoft can proceed with their OneCore - this only works when all components are jelled together for a nice, cohesive experience.

if you do that you still get fullscreen alerts for pending updates until you accept them

taylor1277

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
The simple reason that Windows 10 is pushed down everyone's throat is simple. there is no one else to rival Microsoft in the area of an OS, so they can and they include it all browser and all into the package. No one would buy another OS because you would have people who lets say everyone stays with Windows XP would fix errors on those OS. No one would buy another OS from Microsoft so they force it down your throat. look at google chrome a browser they've changed their browser over 400 times in the last 2.5 years called versions. ever see them charge a person, or push it down your throat. NO never will. You gladly just let it change versions, something that Microosft will never catch onto fixing error and problems over time. How about calling it simply Windows version #. And making it better, getting rid of the things no one wants and applying the things that work. But if they did this they couldn't force you to buy a new system after they've screwed the system up you just bought.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because its foolproof for end users. I have a good, and otherwise intelligent friend whose laptop, until I got my hands on it one year ago, hadn't updated since Jan or Feb of 2014 or so. I have a hallmate whose laptop had auto-updates off on his laptop for no decent reason. There are times for it, but they are few and far between.

Power users, or those who want more control can access user policy.

Also worth noting, Chrome auto-updates silently I believe and takes some fiddling to turn off.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Because its foolproof for end users. I have a good, and otherwise intelligent friend whose laptop, until I got my hands on it one year ago, hadn't updated since Jan or Feb of 2014 or so. I have a hallmate whose laptop had auto-updates off on his laptop for no decent reason. There are times for it, but they are few and far between.

Power users, or those who want more control can access user policy.

Also worth noting, Chrome auto-updates silently I believe and takes some fiddling to turn off.

to be honest this situation just shows how irrelevant/forgotten windows for pc has become, I cant imagine this happening a few years ago without a bunch of hackers developing an all mighty tool that gets you the same updating system as 8.1, it just seems that hacker community is gone, they are on android now most likely

its a fair point and very helpful for non pros, but they have gone out of their way to make it a chore for us to control, as I said it still shows a fullscreen annoying as hell notification interrupting whatever you were doing, and to select which updates to get is another problem, they have designed that tool to make it as cumbersome and slow as possible, sometimes it doesn't even list all the updates you see on settings, see for example I wanted to test a keyboard asap on my laptop, the driver was at the end of the list, no way to just get that one for testing and then let the rest update later, had to block them all, then test the keyboard, then unblock them

they should leave all that as is, then hide the same kind of updating utility we had in previous windows versions to choose what to install whenever we want to, if such utility gets enabled, it should override the current system

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills