How to disable keyboard's Power button in Windows 10?

Tobin Bell

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a simple, generic keyboard that has Power / Sleep / Wake Up buttons right above Print Screen / Scroll Lock / Pause.

I want to disable them because I always shut down my computer accidentally and lose all my work.

All solutions I found are for windows 7 and are about tweaking in the Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, where I can edit Advanced Power Settings.

However, that's the wrong thing to do because the "Power button and lid" section is not only for keyboard, it disables the computer case buttons as well which I normally use to shut down the PC.

Can you help me how on Earth I can disable those keyboard buttons in Win10?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows can only define what happens when a power/sleep 'button' signal is sent to it. It does not have separate settings for every such button you might attach. Same way that button 'A' produces the same result whatever keyboard you attach, even if you have two connected at once. You need to change the signal the key sends, usually done in the keyboard's control software/driver settings. If your keyboard has no such software (very poor, considering they went and put a power key on it), then perhaps you can find a 3rd party keyboard remapping utility somewhere? Failing that, you need to open up your keyboard and remove the offending keys physically. You would not be the first person to have resorted to that plan B.

Tobin Bell

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
It does not have separate settings for every such button you might attach. Same way that button 'A' produces the same result whatever keyboard you attach, even if you have two connected at once.
I heard some people solved this issue and successfully disabled the Power button (on keyboard only) by disabling the "HID-compatible system controller" in the Device Manager / Human Interface Devices. However that does not work for me I don't know why.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Not an approach I am aware of. Best of luck getting it to work. There's always the option of a cheap replacement keyboard...

rasulul

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
i hv faced same problems and solve it from BIOS. Go into your BIOS and look under Power Management, there should be an area to disable the Power off key on your keyboard.

Haribert

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Of course you can turn off the power and sleep buttons on a generic keyboard using Windows 10!
I'll be translating from German so maybe someone can post the exact words.

Go to:
Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Energy options
On the left find "Change Energy Saving Mode" then find "Advanced Power options"
Here's what it looks like in German:
Power.JPG

Now find "Power Off" and "Energy saving" and turn them both to "Do nothing".

Tobin Bell

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Of course, this has nothing to do with the keyboard's power button.These options are for the main power button on the case.

It's somewhat hilarious that the ONLY working solution I found so far is to physically remove the button with eg. a knife. Meanwhile it's 2016, humanity is advancing in nanotechnology but we must still use a weapon like barbarians in the dark middle ages to solve such a minor problem.

Glasimonix

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
No need to destroy your keyboard

There is an option where you can disable the keyboard's shutdown/sleep/wake buttons

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

asdf.PNG

Hope this helps. :excited:

Violet Beauregarde

Mar 26, 2022
Visit site
Again, the Control panel options do not apply to the keyboard.

Simple solution:

First, unplug the keyboard and remove the batteries.

Next, disassemble the keyboard and physically remove the button.

Profit

Notes: don't forget to check under stickers and under the rubber pads for hidden screws. I also had one screw under the battery panel but you should see that when you remove the batteries.

Also also, if you have a touchpad on the keyboard, be careful not to damage the data ribbon when you unsnap the cover. Always unsnap the cover carefully and check for connected wires and ribbons before fully separating the cover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon