Display and scaling issues on Windows 10 (3 monitors - 4k display + lower res)

Iddo Genuth

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Recently I purchased a new 27" 4K monitor and upgraded my machine from win 8.1 to win 10 in order to get better support for higher DPI for my multi monitor rig.

Here are when the problems started:
1. the main problem is that with the main monitor set to 175% scale (looks good) the two other monitors are set to 100% scaling - (icons/text looks giant - basically almost unusable). If I set it to a lower scaling (on the 4K monitor) I can't read the text or see the icons as they are so small.
2. when the monitors goes to sleep things get massed up - icons on the main monitor turn tiny and open tabs on the main monitor move to the 24" monitor for no reason.

My system:
Intel 5820k - 6 core + Asus X99, 32GB ram. Asus GTX970. latest nvidia drivers.

Displays:
1. 27" Dell 4K - main (connected using DP).
2. 24" Dell 1920x1200 (connected using DVI).
3. 23" LG 1680x1050 (connected using HDMI).

I talked to MS and the representative (who had really poor English and I am not sure knew what he was talking about) who said that the only way this will work is if I connect the 2 lower res displays to a second GPU. I have a few but they are old GT210 is the newest (I have 8800GT which is super old). I tried to connect the GT210 but it is not recognized by win 10 and I can't seem to install it along with the 970GTX to see if it will work or not (buying something newer just for the very low chance that it will help seems kind of silly).

Ideas on what I can do?
Iddo

ohmsin

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Likely u are using a generic graphic driver from MS.
I am using a very old ATI Radeon X300 DVI card from my junked PC to semi-new PC so as to test upgrade. I had used it from XP to WIn10 now.
Basically find the old original graphic card driver that was used for your original OS.
Open up the compressed file and leave the expanded files on the c: drive. It only needs the .ini file.
Scan the folder using the graphic card properties update in device manager.
If successful, it will detect and recognize the old .ini file and give u full function for your graphic card.
Do this for the monitor drivers as well.
And it should work (I hope!)!
I rolled back my initial upgrade as the generic driver was unsuitable and after doing scans on my PC to look for the driver was unsuccessful, I just ran install video drivers from HP to get out the .ini file - that did the trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos