Why won't my computer turn off all the way and why can't my computer stay on power saving mode?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I use my laptop for school and, by keeping it on power saving mode, usually get through two school days without charging my laptop. Ever since I've downloaded Windows 10, (1) my computer doesn't shut off all the way when I close it, which drains the battery, and (2) every time I charge it, it turns off the power saving mode, which is really annoying. This is especially annoying when I don't notice it isn't on and my battery drains even faster. Is there any reason it won't turn off? Is there a setting I can use to keep the power saving mode on at all times?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Rubbish. Whilst it is always true that you may have a virus, there is no indication in what you have said that would indicate such here. That's the automatic response usually given by some support types who want to finish their shift and break for lunch (or want to sell you an expensive virus cleaning service). This is clearly about adjusting the power management options in the control panel. Firstly, in said options you can set your laptop to power down on closing the lid rather than the default of going into standby (or not 'shutting off all the way' as you describe). You can also adjust the sleep timer for both battery mode and mains powered mode, setting the mains powered mode to also go into standby after the same delay as for battery mode.

I could be wrong, but this is the answer to the question as you have put it.

My only concern is that you say you drain battery power when on charge whilst not in standby. Is this true when you are not using your laptop (though it isn't in standby) when on charge? If so, this should not be happening. Sounds a bit like your battery may be on the way out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos