Are there any benefits to upgrading to Windows 10?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Most of my computers run Windows 10 now and I'm quite satisfied with it. However, I have an 8 inch tablet, an HP Stream 8 (free T-Mobile 4G model), currently running Windows 8.1. I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade to Windows 10. The specs barely meet Windows 10's minimum requirements and apparently Microsoft just raised the minimum requirements too for future builds. So the question is, are there any benefits to upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 on that particular tablet? From what I understand, I'll lose the recovery partition as well. That shouldn't be too big of a deal for me, but what do I gain from the upgrade? Is performance better, battery life improvements? Or is Windows 10 going to be slower than 8.1 on a tablet like that with more battery drain?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Most of my computers run Windows 10 now and I'm quite satisfied with it. However, I have an 8 inch tablet, an HP Stream 8 (free T-Mobile 4G model), currently running Windows 8.1. I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade to Windows 10. The specs barely meet Windows 10's minimum requirements and apparently Microsoft just raised the minimum requirements too for future builds. So the question is, are there any benefits to upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 on that particular tablet? From what I understand, I'll lose the recovery partition as well. That shouldn't be too big of a deal for me, but what do I gain from the upgrade? Is performance better, battery life improvements? Or is Windows 10 going to be slower than 8.1 on a tablet like that with more battery drain?

it's more of the same really. Many have said the tablet experience went down a bit so you might just stick with 8.1 for now

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the 7 inch version and as long as you aren't expecting to set the world alight with blistering performance, I reckon its well worth the upgrade.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The biggest advantage of upgrading to Windows 10 is universal apps. All the newer apps are being released for Windows 10 only (example new FB and FB messenger, Skype UWP, some media steaming apps, etc.). I would say it's worth the upgrade.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the 7 inch version and as long as you aren't expecting to set the world alight with blistering performance, I reckon its well worth the upgrade.

Is it true the tablet experience if Windows 10 has regressed though? I'm only using this tablet exclusively as a tablet so I never hook up any keyboards or mice to it.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Same here, the only soon to be resolved issue I have is Skype, you can only just get away with using Skype for desktop on a Surface Pro 3 let alone smaller tablets, to be honest the apps are crap so we wait for the new universal app.

If you find yourself in need, buy a few of those cheap rubber tipped styli, they work well on tablets and phones for a bit of fine control. I have some but never feel the need as I can work the 7 just fine.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm running W10 on a Acer W510 (64/2), a definite decline in usability over what we saw w/8.1, tablet feels clunky too.

IMO you'd be better off sticking to W8.1, although my multiple PCs are running 10 can't say it rivals anything before it with much finessing still needed, that store is just as annoying as it is on WM.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Im running the latest RS build on my 7" Stream. When 10 first came out I missed the 8.1 tablet UI. With RS I dont miss it anymore and its nice and smooth as long as all the HP drivers and firmware are up to date. Im keeping my Dell Venue on normal production though.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd say upgrade to Windows 10. It's well worth it just for all of the new apps, plus, tablet mode has just gotten better & better with each new upgrade.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Is it true the tablet experience if Windows 10 has regressed though? I'm only using this tablet exclusively as a tablet so I never hook up any keyboards or mice to it.

Initial w10 tablet regressed but now it's ok and I take comfort in knowing they keep improving it. I use it on my surface, strictly tablet mode. No keyboard or anything hooked up.

My surface pro 3 is still windows 8.1 and I yea I do wish the charms bar stuff was still there as I liked it and feels natural but action center kinda way better anyhow. I'll be upgrading it anyhow when the anniversary update is out, might even just decide to do it next week :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap