SOLVED: Databases on Windows 10 and WM10

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to find a way to share some databases between my PC, my laptop, and my phone, all running Windows 10 or Windows Mobile 10. I like to use LibreOffice for documents and spreadsheets, and especially because the Open Document Format used by LibreOffice supports password-protected files.

And this seems to be a problem with Excel Mobile. It will open a non password protected .ODS file but when I try to open one that has a password, it says that the file is corrupted. The error message is "Can't open file. Your workbook couldn't be opened because the file is corrupted."

I take it that Excel Mobile doesn't understand the format. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a workaround? Or do you know of another simple database program I could use in place of LibreOffice spreadsheets?

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Databases on Windows 10 and WM10

I'm trying to find a way to share some databases between my PC, my laptop, and my phone, all running Windows 10 or Windows Mobile 10. I like to use LibreOffice for documents and spreadsheets, and especially because the Open Document Format used by LibreOffice supports password-protected files.

And this seems to be a problem with Excel Mobile. It will open a non password protected .ODS file but when I try to open one that has a password, it says that the file is corrupted. The error message is "Can't open file. Your workbook couldn't be opened because the file is corrupted."

I take it that Excel Mobile doesn't understand the format. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a workaround? Or do you know of another simple database program I could use in place of LibreOffice spreadsheets?

you haven't tried using MS office?

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Give office a chance, as for fairly basic spreadsheets even Office online works well.

I think a lot of people don't give the online versions enough credit - It's free to use the online version

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

Well almost any cloud service like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox allow you share files. Cloud services require a user name and password to access. We use Google Drive at work and share file we want others to see. You can also give view only or view and update to file you share. So as long as you have the app the file uses on the machines needing access to the files you can use them. Since you have Windows if you save the file to Onedrive you just need to use your MS account and you can view and edit on any device.

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

AMBASSADOR said: "you haven't tried using MS office?"

I don't have, and can't afford MS Office. I could have used the online one but I need to be able to encrypt and decrypt database files while not connected to the internet.

Dan Harris said: "Give office a chance, as for fairly basic spreadsheets even Office online works well."

Yes, thanks for your suggestion.

orlbuckeye said:
"Well almost any cloud service like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox allow you share files"

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I have no problem sharing the files. It's encrypting them and decrypting them that's the problem. And as I clarified above, I want to do this when I'm offline as well as online.

I've actually solved my own problem. I didn't realise that the Office spreadsheet .xlsx format allows me to use a password. So I just keep my databases in .xlsx spreadsheets and both LibreOffice on my PC and laptop, and Excel Mobile on my phone, can both read and encrypt/decrypt them.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I don't have, and can't afford MS Office. I could have used the online one but I need to be able to encrypt and decrypt database files while not connected to the internet.

I know you have sorted your problem but you did say you couldn't afford Office.

Have you thought of Office 365, if you have family (Or maybe very good friends) you can get 5 uses of 365 for ?79 per year (You will need to look up the dollar price).

I have 2 of our five, my wife, one daughter and my son have 1 each, for that we get full blown Office including Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word (Plus some other bits), also chucked in is 1 TB of OneDrive, and they throw in 60 minutes of Skype credit. And it's always the latest version.

Don't know about you, but I think this is really good deal.

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes, thanks, I have thought of Office 365. It's just me. And not a lot of money. And not a lot of point since I like LibreOffice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151